Keshi Finally Laid To Rest Amidst Tears (Photos)


The remains of former Super Eagles coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, has been finally laid to rest at his hometown Ilah in Delta state.

At his grave side were his children, family members, well wishers and friends who were there to pay their respect to the former football icon.

Also See: Mikel Obi Debunks Stories He Donated $30,000 To Olympic Team

The funeral rites of the former football legend, began yesterday at St. Paul Catholic Church Benin City. The event was well attended by family members, top members of the Nigeria Football Federation, ex-internationals and a host of other well wishers.

Remains of former super Eagles coach
The remains of former super Eagles coach

The service was  be followed by a novelty match in his honour at the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium in Benin. The match saw the likes of Peter Rufai, Victor Ikpeba, Mutiu Adepoju, Austin Eguavoen and Uche Okechukwu, play again in honour of their fallen colleague. The match  ended in a 1-1 draw.

Afterwards his body left Benin city for Asaba where he was laid in at the indoor Hall of Keshi Stadium, while a service of songs/vigil mass was held at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Illah, Delta state by 6:00pm same day.

In the hours of Friday, his remains was taken to the Ogbelani Palace for traditional rites as a palace chief, as lying-in-state followed at his home in Ukpologwu quarters, Illah.

Not too long, a requiem mass was held at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church before his interment.

Keshi’s children at the grave side

The former Super Eagles captain and coach, Stephen Keshi died on June 8, 2016, at the age of 54. The legend reportedly died of cardiac arrest just months after the demise of his wife Kate.

Also See: IAAF Bans Nigeria’s Team From Rio Olympics

The “Big Boss” as he was popularly called is one of the only two men to have won the Africa Cup of Nations as a player and coach, he was captain of Nigeria for 11 years and had in his bag an AFCON gold, silver and bronze.

May His soul rest in peace…