FCT Hospital Leaves Accident Victim To Die Over N3,500 Deposit


An accident victim, James Omase, was reportedly refused medical treatment for three hours on Saturday, November 26, by the Kubwa General Hospital, Abuja because he was unable to pay a bill of N3,500.

The accident victim was taken to the hospital around 6pm but the medical personnel bluntly refused to pay him any attention until around 9pm when his employer came and paid the bill.

The 20-year old man who worked as a security guard in a residential building was riding a motorcycle along Arab Road, Kubwa, when another rider ran into him, causing him to fall. As a result, he lost two teeth and also sustained an injury on his upper lips, had bruises on his head, right upper arm and on both hands.

See Also: God Save Us! First Case Of Plastic Rice In Nigeria Surfaces (Video)

Speaking to Northern City News on Sunday, James Omase said that he offered the nurses N2,500 which was the only money he had on him but they allegedly refused to accept it, insisting that until he paid the complete amount, he would not be treated.

FCT Hospital Leaves Accident Victim To Die Over N3,500 Deposit
FCT Hospital Leaves Accident Victim, James Omase, To Die Over N3,500 Deposit

Read More: MMM Nigeria Donates N2.5m To Hospital Patients

He said:

“I was involved in the accident around 5pm but nobody took me to the hospital till 6pm. I was on the ground in pains and people were passing by, nobody volunteered to take me to the hospital.

“It was a friend who saw me lying along the road, that took me to the hospital. But when I got there, the nurses said they won’t attend to me until I paid N3,500 for treatment. I told them I had N2,500 but they refused to accept it or attend to me.

“I was lying on a bench in pains for many hours. It was a neighbour, who learnt that I was involved in an accident, that went to inform my employers, who came to the hospital around 9pm and paid the money before I was treated.”

Expressing disappointment over the conduct of the nurses, the acting Secretary, Federal Capital Territory Hospital Management Board, Mrs. Alice Odey-Achu, described their action as unacceptable, noting that all public hospitals were supposed to attend to emergency cases, with or without payment by the patient.