The Independent National Electoral Commission has backtracked on its initial position to go ahead with the Edo elections.
As a result, INEC has postponed the initially scheduled September 10 gubernatorial election in Edo State.
Spokesman for the commission, Nick Dazang, told newsmen that the new date for the Edo elections is now September 28th.
The electoral body made the announcement at exactly 8:00pm today at a press conference in Benin, the Edo State capital.
INEC spokesman, Dazang had said:
“We have now decided to shift the election forward for another two weeks.
“We would announce a new date within the next 24 hours.”
INEC’s postponement is coming barely 24 hours after the Department of State Security Service (DSS) and the police had warned of security threats to the polls.
The Police and the SSS had reportedly announced their intention to pull out of the exercise, citing security concerns.
The Mahmood Yakubu-led INEC finally backed down on their decision to proceed with the Edo elections after series of consultations.
INEC had previously brushed aside the security advise from the police and SSS, to continue with Saturday’s Edo governorship election.
The commission had said it would not be “teleguided” and “would not do anything that would mortgage Nigeria’s democracy”.
Edo Elections Postponed Due To Security Threat
INEC spokesperson had explained that the cost of demobilising, after reaching at least 97 per cent readiness level, would be immense.
With APC’s Godwin Obaseki slugging it out with PDP’s Osagie Ize-Iyamu to replace APC incumbent, Adams Oshiomhole.
Political analysts have alleged that a possible win by the APC’s Obaseki will be a proxy extension of Oshiomhole’s rule.
Othes have alleged that the APC is behind the ploy to postpone the elections due to fears that they might lose the elections.
Governor Adams Oshiomhole’s two-term tenure comes to an end this November.