Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State, has commissioned 13 bulldozers jointly procured by the caretaker chairmen of the 13 local government areas of the state as part of efforts to boost rice production.
The bulldozers, which costs about N442 million naira were expected to create access roads to all the lands designated by the thirteen council areas for rice production. The procurement of these equipment was the second since Umahi assumed office. He had earlier purchased similar equipment valued about 1.8 billion naira for roads construction in the state by the government.
While commissioning the equipment, Gov. Umahi expressed joy and paid tribute to God Almighty for the procurement of the bulldozers and successes so far recorded by his administration.
The governor said it was a joint agreement between the state and local governments that every LGA must have one Grader and a Bulldozer in order to have access roads and also prepare their farms for rice production, adding that one caterpillar each had already been distributed to all the LGAs in the state.
He urged the council bosses to deploy the equipment to work and ensure that employment was also created for the people in the course of the farming season. His words:
“You should be able to train civil servants. Each of the bulldozers and graders should be able to have three trainees each attached to whoever that is going be the operator.”
The Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy matters, Mr. Samuel Okoronkwo had earlier explained that the 13 bulldozers were purchased at the cost of N422 million as 40 per cent out of the total cost has been paid while the remaining 60 per cent would be paid by installment within six months.
Okoronkwo also said 13 graders purchased by the local government council chairmen will arrive the State in a week time.
He assured Governor Umahi of the commitment and readiness of the council areas to key into the agricultural policies and programmes of the State government to boost food production and internally generated revenue for the State.
Recall that in September last year, Gov Umahi had also procured mechanized equipment such as manual, power tiller, manual trans-planter, weeder, motorized trans-planter, power tiller and grain winnower to be distributed to farmers and boost rice production in the State.