The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is the board charged with the administration of the Unitary Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). In order for a person to qualify for admission to any of the institutions of higher learning in Nigeria, he/she must sit for the UTME. The examination is the pass to both public and private universities, polytechnics, as well as monotechnics.
The candidates should have completed their Senior School Certificate Examinations (SSCE) prior to registering for UTME. SSCE is administered by either Nigerian National Examinations Council (NECO) or the West African Examinations Council (WAEC). After the release of the Jamb results, candidates need to adhere to the following guidelines on how to check their results online in order to know their scores.
When Does The JAMB Result Come Out?
JAMB results are released a lot earlier than they used to be some ten, twenty, years ago. This is all thanks to technological advancement and the introduction of Computer-Based Tests (CBT) into the system. During the days of the Paper and Pencil Tests (PPT), the results take weeks or even months to be released but with CBT, you can expect your results to be out in at most 48 hours. This is a welcomed development that has come to stay.
Do You Get a Jamb Result Notification?
JAMB does not send out SMS or emails notifying candidates that their results have been released. However, candidates can begin to check for their results on the board’s website or via SMS within 24 to 48 hours after the examination. They could also choose to wait for the official release by the body, announcing the release of the results.
How to Check UTME/JAMB Result
Just the same way the release of JAMB results has gotten faster, checking of results has also gotten easier. The examination board has even gotten more advanced, not only in the use of technology to conduct the exams but also in ensuring prompt release and ensuring candidates get their results as and when due.
Below are the requirements and steps to be taken to check the result.
Before going online, a person seeking to know his score needs to have some credentials. This enables the system to provide the correct results to the candidate. It should, however, be noted that checking JAMB results no longer requires a scratch card. Below is all you need to have handy before logging in to the result portal to check your result:
- JAMB Registration Number
- Email Address (used for the registration)
- Phone Number (used for the registration)
- An internet-enabled and connected device. This includes either a desktop PC, laptop, notebook, iPad, Tablet, smartphone, or any other mobile phone with internet capability.
Can You Check Jamb Results for Free?
Each candidate can check their JAMB result for free a minimum of 5 times. After exhausting the free option, they will be required to buy the JAMB result-checking scratch card.
How To Log-in To Jamb Result Checker Portal
Logging on to Jamb Result Checker Portal is not rocket science, it is as simple as taking these 2 simple steps:
- Log on to the board’s official website at www.jamb.gov.ng
- Locate the ‘E-facility’ button on the menu bar and click on it. This will take you to an entirely different page where you will click on the button of the action you want to carry out.
How To Check JAMB Result with Registration Number
Once the above-mentioned requirements are in place, follow the below steps:
Step 1: Log in to the JAMB official portal at www.jamb.gov.ng
Step 2: Locate the ‘E-facility’ button on the menu bar and click on it. This will take you to an entirely different page where you will be required to click on the action you want.
Step 3: Click on the “UTME Main Results Notification Slip’ button. This will take you to another page where you will enter either your ‘Registration Number’. Once you enter any of this information, just click on the “Check My Result” button and wait for your result to be displayed.
NB: A candidate may receive an error message when trying to get the results. This is quite normal hence no need for panic. The cause of this is usually a system malfunction, overload, or network interruption. All that is needed is logging off and trying the search again.
How To Check Jamb Result On Phone
Part of the ways they have employed to ensure candidates get their results on time is by ensuring that results are sent to candidates via SMS on the phone numbers they registered for the examination with before they can proceed to print it out.
However, if candidates don’t get their JAMB scores sent to them via SMS within two days of the release of the results, they can proceed to the JAMB result checking portal to check it or do it from the comfort of their homes, using their mobile phones.
Step 1: From the same mobile number you used for registration, Type “RESULT” and send via SMS to 55019.
Step 2: You will get a notification saying the result would be replied to as an SMS shortly after, wait for a while and you have your result sent to your phone via an SMS in this format – “Dear Mr/Miss X, your result is as follows… (and the details will be provided).
Take Note of the Following:
- A service charge of N50 applies, so before you proceed to check your result via SMS, ensure you have a minimum N50 balance on your phone.
- Ensure to type RESULT in capital letter
- If a candidate’s result is withheld, they will also be notified via an SMS in this format: “Result withheld pending the upload of clarifications/document required from you.” This usually happens if the board is in doubt of the result or feels the candidate cheated, etc
- If a candidate uses a phone number that was not used to register, a message will be sent to him/her in this format: “This phone number was not used for registration.” so ensure you send the SMS with the same mobile number you registered the examination with
- If a candidate was absent, he/she would get “CANDIDATE ABSENT” feedback.
A candidate who was absent but has a registration number that was also canceled will also be notified. Whatever, your result status is, you will be notified.
Checking JAMB Results Using Email Address
Like we earlier mentioned, JAMB employs all the endless possibilities technology affords. In case candidates forget their JAMB registration number or don’t have it handy at the time of checking their results, they can actually check their results using their email address, the same one they used while registering for JAMB. All they need to do is to
- Log in to the JAMB official portal at www.jamb.gov.ng
- Locate the ‘E-facility’ button on the menu bar and click on it. This will take you to an entirely different page where you will be required to click on the action you want.
- Click on the “UTME Main Results Notification Slip’ button. This will take you to another page where the ‘Registration Number’ or ‘Mobile Phone Number’ option is displayed. Enter your email in place of the registration number, then click on the “Check My Result” button and wait for your result to be displayed.
These May Explain Why You Are Yet To See Your JAMB Result
One of the most common problems candidates face when trying to check jamb results online is delays, unresponsive systems, and system errors. This usually happens immediately after the results have been released and it is usually caused by heavy traffic as many intending students are eager to know their scores.
In order to minimize this, it is ideal to attempt access to the portal at night hours. Bookmarking the web page and staying calm also come in handy. If you have done this for days and are still unable to access your result, it may be for other reasons. Below are some of those other reasons.
1. Your Centre May Be Under Investigation: A center where suspicious behavior was reported or captured via the security camera usually has a delay in the release of their results until the investigation is done. Results of candidates in such centers remain unreleased. So just be hopeful and keep checking.
2. Malpractice: Any candidate who was reported to have cheated during the examination shouldn’t be expecting a result and the board is not likely to be released.
3. Wrong Information: If a candidate enters wrong information, says a wrong phone number, email address, or registration number, at the time of checking the result, their results won’t be displayed. So before any candidate starts getting worried, they should crosscheck and ensure they have provided the right information where necessary.
How To Print Jamb Result
Gone are the days you apply to the board and wait endlessly to get your Jamb result slips delivered to you, candidates can now print JAMB results online and the beautiful thing is that the new slip comes embedded with the candidate’s passport photograph.
Below are the simple procedures to printing your slip online:
- Login to your JAMB official site at www.jamb.gov.ng
- Locate the ‘E-facility’ button on the menu bar and click on it. This will take you to an entirely different page where you will be required to click on the action you want. Under the list of services displayed on the page, click on the “Print Result Slip“ button
- Click on the “continue with payment” button to make a payment of N1,000 via the Remita platform
- After successfully making payment, you can now proceed to print your result slip by selecting your exam year and entering your JAMB Registration Number in the required column.
- Candidates can request for their result slip to be sent to their emails from where they can reprint it later or print it directly from the portal at the time of the request.
How To Print Your Admission Letter Online
Another way that JAMB has made things easier for candidates is by introducing online admission letter printing. So, instead of queuing all day in any JAMB office across the nation, you can just walk into any cafe and have the letter printed in a matter of minutes. Here are the steps to take.
- Login to your JAMB official site at www.jamb.gov.ng. Locate the ‘E-facility’ button on the menu bar and click on it. This will take you to an entirely different page where you will be required to click on the action you want. Under the list of services displayed on the page, click on the “Print admission letter“ button
- You will be required to create a profile via the Sign Up (New User) Page if you don’t already have an existing account. For existing users, simply type in your login details. To create a profile, you will have to enter a valid email address, surname, first name, Mobile Number, State of origin, and LGA and then a password, then click on the Sign-Up button.
- Once you are logged in, the system automatically takes you to a page where you will see all available services. Simply click on the “Print Admission Letter” button. Once you click on the “Print Admission Letter” button a Transaction ID is generated for this service which will be displayed on the confirmation page screen. Note that the Transaction ID is displayed in bold red font and is useful for all future references concerning the Transaction and should be kept well. A copy of this transaction ID will be sent to your registered email address.
- Click on the Continue button if you wish to pay with your card immediately but if you wish to use other payment channels like Quickteller, ATM, Cash at the Bank, however, note that the transaction ID as it will be required.
- On the Payment page, enter your card details and click on the Pay button. The status of your payment will be displayed on the “My Payment Section.” An SMS and email containing your unique Transaction Identification and payment status will be sent to you after payment. Click on the Continue button.
- Once payment is confirmed, you will be asked to provide the following:
a. Year of Exam and
b. JAMB Registration Number.
After entering this information correctly, you can now print the Admission letter as shown on your screen.
FAQs About Checking JAMB Results
1. When Will JAMB UTME Result Be Released?
JAMB results are usually released within 48 hours after it has been written.
2. I did Not Engage in Malpractice, why haven’t I seen my Result?
There are many answers to this question. It could be due to network issues, withheld results, or your center is undergoing further screening or investigation. Just hang on there and keep checking, if it isn’t network related issue, you will be notified in due time why you are unable to access your result.
3. Can My UTME Result Be Upgraded After It Has Been Released?
NO! Your UTME result can not be upgraded either before or after it has been released thus, candidates are warned to beware of fraudsters who disguise themselves as agents of the board to extort money from candidates promising to help them upgrade their results.
There is also punishment for anyone trying to upgrade his/her results through whatever means. If you are caught, your result/certificate will be rendered non and void even after they have been admitted or graduated, if you upgraded your result, your certificate will be void.
4. How Many Times Can I Check My JAMB Result For Free?
Each candidate can check their JAMB result a maximum of 5 times for free. After exhausting the free option, they will be required to buy the JAMB result-checking scratch card.
5. Where Do I Purchase An e-Facility Card?
E-Facility cards can be purchased at any JAMB office nearest to you for N1000