The leader of #OurMumuDonDo movement, Charly Boy has suspended the #ResumeOrResign protests following the Tuesday attack on them by hoodlums at the Wuse Market in Abuja.
The group made the announcement on Wednesday at the unity fountain, Maitama, saying they needed to re-strategise.
The peaceful protest which has been on for over a week now turned violent on Tuesday when hoodlums at the Wuse Market in Abuja attacked protesters.
Charly Boy was about addressing the people when some suspected hoodlums infiltrated the crowd, shouting ‘Sai Baba’ and hurling stones at the group.
The clash, which was quickly doused by the police led to the closure of the market. But that did not stop it from spilling over into neighbouring
streets where hooligans reportedly took advantage of the scuffle and began to throw stones and other projectiles at passersby.
Explaining what happened in a series of tweets, one of the leaders of the group, Deji Adeyanju said some youths attacked them when they moved to the market in the course of their protest to demand President Muhammadu Buhari’s return to the country or resignation.
“We just went to Wuse market for mobilisation against 100 days event tomorrow & a regular face at Unity Fountain brought thugs to attack us.
“They attacked us with police on Tuesday. Tried to attack us at Unity Fountain with their government sponsored thugs. Today is Wuse Market.
“Charly Boy’s car was damaged by the thugs. This is a senseless government.
“There are wraps of money all over Unity Fountain shared by Pro-Buhari protesters. The government says it’s fighting corruption?” Deji had tweeted.
The anti-Buhari protesters have also announced it will hold an all night vigil at the Abuja House in London – The group said it will hold a candle light vigil and procession will take place in front of the Presidential residence in London on Friday, August 18.
The group said the vigil which will begin at 5pm and last until dawn is open to all Nigerians in support of the #ResumeOrResign protest ongoing in Nigeria
The #ResumeOrResign protesters had started a campaign on Monday last week, demanding the return of the president who is away in the United Kingdom on a medical vacation since 7 May.