More Than Two Students Shot Dead In University of Calabar Hostel


Monday, 20th March was one of those very dreadful days in Calabar, Cross Rivers State as two students were shot dead at the University of Calabar Hostel.

See Also: 10 Feared Dead As Calabar Tribes Go To War Over Human Head For Burial Of High Chief

The city of Calabar in a whole has been experiencing series of crime-related issues of late and now it has moved into the school hostel where a good number of students reside.

In the past 10 years, so many students, lecturers, and properties have been lost within the school premises. A few days ago, a lecturer was kidnapped by unknown gunmen and the other was shot dead inside the same varsity.

On Monday, a student was killed and the entire institution went into a state of panic and confusion, leaving some wounded while trying to run for safety.

Prior to that, another student was killed on Saturday around Mary Slessor avenue and another in Watt Market by a rival cult group.

The sad event of the market shoot-out threw the market women and buyers into a stampede as everyone fled to the nearest shade for cover.

The fightings, killings, and insecurity has gone beyond the University of Calabar Hostel and is trending in the Southern part of the state.

According to Calabar Reporters, on Monday three more people were gunned down in Ikot Ishie axis; one at Nsemo Street, one on AB Martin field and the other one at Old Obutong.

See Also: UNICAL Dean’s Son Abducted By Gunmen In Calabar


In late 2016, Onyebuchi Okwueze – son of the Dean of Postgraduate School of the University of Calabar, Prof Emeka Okwueze was kidnapped.

As reported by one Mr. Eyo, the gunmen also shot two other persons during the operation and carted away a plasma television set.

In May 2016, kidnappers invaded the same wing of buildings at the University Staff Quarters and kidnapped the son of the Deputy Registrar, Barr Ekpenyong Iniama.

See Also: DSS Operatives Storm FGGC Calabar, Beat Up 6 Teachers

The same kidnappers also abducted the wife and daughter of Prof Wilfred Ndifon of the College of Medical Sciences. However, both abductees were later released after months in the custody f their kidnappers.

The city of Calabar is no more a safe hide out as the residents continue to call on the Governor of the State, Gov Ben Ayade to make a move towards arresting the culprits responsible for the restiveness in the city and also tighten up the security in the state, especially in places where students and the masses converge.