A BVN Code is a code that is used to access the bank verification number, commonly known as BVN. The BVN is an 11-digit number unique to each individual across all bank institutions for the same individual. It was implemented by the Central Bank of Nigeria to reduce illegal banking transactions in the country.
To effectively achieve the aim of BVN, a system of checking the number was introduced. The system involved using a code in the form of an Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) code that can be used by all communication networks.
What is Bank Verification Number (BVN)
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a unique identifying number for financial institutions in Nigeria’s banking system. It also serves as biometric authentication for each bank customer, facilitating electronic and cashless transactions through a unique sequence of numbers. The Central Bank of Nigeria uses biometric data to prevent or reduce unlawful activities in the banking sector. As a result, without your BVN, no one can access your bank PIN or even your signature.
If you’re not sure what biometrics are, they are used to identify individuals based on physiological characteristics. These characteristics may include facial characteristics, fingerprints, voice, and others. These statistics are crucial for bank users’ banking safety.
With the unique identification numbers provided to bank customers in Nigeria, identification and verification are made simple, even during critical banking operations. This has been a milestone in the security of the Nigerian banking sector.
Benefits of Linking your BVN to Your Bank Accounts
- It aids in the handling of identity theft challenges, hence reducing fraudulent activity.
- BVN provides an identification that is accepted by all Nigerian banks.
- It allows bank customers to participate in future or investment banking transactions.
- It helps improve the efficiency of banking operations.
- BVN also raises the possibility of capturing clients on a blacklist.
- The customer’s unique BVN is recognized as a form of identification by all Nigerian banks.
- To offer account holders enhanced security.
- Its purpose is to guarantee that account holders are known to their bankers in accordance with the CBN’s ‘Know Your Customer’ approach.
- To decrease fraud caused by impersonation.
- To give account holders a single identity across all Nigerian banks, which means that the BVN number can be used as a form of identification in any Nigerian bank.
- The goal of the initiative is to establish accountability.
- Its purpose is to provide consumers with access to future credit opportunities.
- It is also meant to bring more people into the financial system, which is a goal that the CBN has promised to reach.
How to Check BVN Across All Banks in Nigeria
To check your BVN, simply dial *556*0#. The USSD code has made it simple to check your Bank Verification Number (BVN) in all commercial banks in Nigeria. You don’t need to worry about having internet connectivity to achieve this. This is the general USSD code for checking BVN for all banks in Nigeria. To check BVN in any bank in Nigeria costs N20 on the airtime of the number used in dialing the USSD code.
The USSD Codes For Checking and Linking BVN in Nigeria
As infused as a mandatory requirement for operating an account with any recognized commercial bank in Nigeria. Here are how to check BVN in some of the commercial banks in Nigeria:
How to Check BVN on Access Bank
Access bank account holders can check their BVN by following the quick steps below:
On your phone, dial *565*0#
Ensure you send it using the phone number associated with your Access bank account. Once the code is dialed, you will receive a message prompt displaying the BVN number on your screen.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Access Bank Account
Since there are no USSD options for linking BVN to the Access bank account, customers use the SMS option. To have the BVN linked to the Access bank account, send a message to 20121, writing BVN, account number followed by the BVN number in the body of the message. For example, send BVN 23451674568 86345214568 to 20121.
How to Check BVN on First Bank
Dial *565*0# to check your BVN at First Bank. There are no extra actions required to check your Bank Verification Number on the FirstBank Nigeria network. It is required that one use the line used during the First Bank account opening.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your First Bank Account
There is no USSD code to link BVN to the First Bank account. However, you can visit the First Bank form page or click here. You will find the BVN linker form; fill in your information carefully. Details such as your Full Name, Bank Account, BVN, etc. You may also connect it to any other bank account number you have with the first bank; for example, if you have a savings, current, or domiciliary account, you can input another bank account number.
So fill it out correctly. If you simply have a savings account with them, there is no need to enter any additional account numbers. When you’re through with the form, click the submit button, and your BVN will be connected to your first bank account number within a few days.
How to Check BVN on Zenith Bank
Zenith Bank customers can check their BVN number using the code *565*0#. When it comes to checking your Bank Verification Number data on the Zenith Bank network, there are no hard and fast rules.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Zenith Bank Account
The Zenith Bank USSD code is one method for linking your bank data. To do so, dial *966*BVN# and enter your Bank Verification number to link your account. Use the phone number that is connected to your Zenith bank account.
How to Check BVN on Union bank
Dial the USSD short code *565*0# from your Union Bank phone. Then, hit the send button. Follow the on-screen steps, and your BVN will be shown on your phone.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Union Bank Account
Union Bank has no USSD code for linking BVN to their accounts. However, to link your BVN with your Union Bank account, kindly walk into any Union Bank branch of your choice. Approach the customer care unit and request that you wish to link your BVN with your account. A customer service agent will guide you through the steps.
How to Check BVN on UBA
To check BVN on UBA, simply dial *565*0# using the mobile number that the account was registered with. A pop-up will bring out the 11 digits of your BVN on your screen.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your UBA Bank Account
If you have not received your BVN when you created your UBA Bank account, it will be required before you can use your UBA account on transactions. So, it is very important to go through the simple step of linking the BVN with your account.
Simply dial *919*6#, add your BVN, and then send. A message will notify you that the request is successful.
How to Check BVN on Fidelity Bank
Fidelity Bank is one of the commercial banks in Nigeria that inculcates the check of BVN in their USSD code. Aside from the *565*0# way of checking BVN, which can also be used to check BVN in Fidelity Bank, one can also do this from the steps listed below:
- Dial *770# with the mobile number used to open the account
- On the menu, press 1 to bring out the menu list
- On the first menu list, select 9 or next
- On the next menu list, press 6, >Get Account Number/BVN/NIN
- Enter your PIN, and this has a charge of N20
- This will bring out all the details like the account number, BVN, and NIN
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Fidelity Bank Account
There is no USSD code available to link Fidelity Bank BVN. But the bank provided this method; if you have already registered for a BVN number and wish to connect your information to your Fidelity Bank account, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to your phone message
- Input your Fidelity Bank BVN
- Send your Bank Verification Number to 09035090000 through SMS.
- Wait a few minutes for a confirmation notice confirming your BVN has been connected to your Fidelity Bank account
- You may also go to the closest Fidelity branch in Nigeria
- Inform the customer service representative at the banking hall that you want to connect your BVN to your bank account
How to Check BVN on Polaris Bank
When it comes to checking your Bank Verification Number data on the Polaris Bank network, there are no strict guidelines. All you have to do is follow the few steps provided below:
- Dial the USSD short code *565*0# from your Polaris Bank phone
- Follow the on-screen steps, and your BVN will be shown on your phone screen
How to Link BVN with Your Polaris Bank Account
Since there is no available USSD code for linking BVN in a Polaris Bank account, one can link and update the BVN on a Polaris Bank account, following the few steps provided below:
- Assess the Polaris Bank internet banking profile
- Select the BVN linking/update on the dashboard menu
- Input the BVN number in the provided space
- Click on submit
In a short period, a notification will be sent to you confirming the successful linking of your account.
How to Check BVN on Guarantee Trust Bank
To check your BVN on GTB, dial *737*6*1# and follow the instructions that will be provided. Ensure to use the same mobile number used during the registration of your GTB account. Again, you can still follow the general USSD code to check BVN for all banks in Nigeria. Dial *565*0#.
How to Link BVN with Your Guarantee Trust Bank Account
You may now link your Bank Verification Number registered in another commercial bank to your GTBank account without visiting any of our GTBank locations. To link your BVN to your GTBank account, utilize any ATM nationally, the Internet Banking platform, or the BVN linking portal on our webpage.
The USSD Code available for this is *737*20*BVN Number#. This will lead to other verification steps for linking the BVN with the GTB account.
How to Check BVN on FCMB
To check your BVN in FCMB, use the traditional way accepted by all banks in Nigeria, dial *565*0#. This requires you to use the communication number used during account registration.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your FCMB Account
There is no USSD code to link BVN with the FCMB account. But there are several other options available, for one to link BVN with FCMB. Some of these methods include the FCMB online portal, via email, and a visit to the nearest branch. Below is how you can link your BVN to your FCMB account:
- Access your FCMB online account
- Select the ‘No BVN Link Here’ option
- This may be found in the top-left corner of your account dashboard
- Then, input your BVN number.
- Next, input the information for the bank with which you enrolled
- Respond to the security questions
- After that, you must submit your connecting request by clicking on the ‘Link BVN’ page
- Finally, a notice will appear on your screen verifying that you have connected your BVN information to your FCMB Bank account
This is how you use the FCMBOnline interface to link your BVN.
How to Check BVN on Eco Bank Account
*565*0# is the code you need to call to check your BVN data on Ecobank Nigeria. When it comes to checking your Bank Verification Number information on the Ecobank network, there are no hard and fast rules. The most important requirement is to make sure that you dial the code using the mobile number used during the account registration.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your ECO Bank Account
Eco Bank is also one of the commercial banks that provided a means of linking the BVN in their USSD code. Assume you are an Ecobank user who wishes to link your bank verification number from another bank account. In such a situation, you may easily connect your information by entering the Eco Bank USSD mobile banking code. To link your BVN to your Eco Bank account, follow the few steps below:
- Dial *326# from the phone number associated with your Ecobank account
- Choose option 9 and then click the transmit button
- You may also dial *326*9# and hit send
- The screen will then display a dialog box
- Enter your 11-digit BVN code here
You have now successfully linked your BVN information to your Ecobank account.
How to Check BVN on Sterling Bank Account
The USSD code to check BVN on the Sterling Bank is *565*0#. Customers are to use the number used in registering the account to dial the code.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Sterling Bank Account
Sterling Bank provided a USSD code to link BVN on their accounts. To do this, dial *822*3*BVN#. This must be done using the mobile number used in registering the account with Sterling Bank.
How to Check BVN on Stanbic IBTC Bank Account
Bank customers use the general code of checking BVN with all banks. To check BVN on the Stanbic IBTC, dial *565*0# using the mobile number used to open the account.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Your Stanbic IBTC Bank Account
Stanbic IBTC doesn’t have a USSD code for linking BVN with their account, but there is an option to get this done. Customers can link BVN to Stanbic IBTC by texting BVN to 30909.
How to Check BVN on Wema Bank Account
To check your BVN in Wema Bank, dial *565*0#. This should be done using the mobile number used during the opening of the account.
USSD Code to Link BVN with Wema Bank Account
To link your BVN details to your WEMA bank account using a USSD code, dial *945*BVN# on your phone and press the send button.
Can you open a bank account without BVN?
Yes, it is possible to open an account without BVN in Nigeria. This was made possible by introducing channels like USSD codes and online banking. So many commercial banks in Nigeria use these methods in registering accounts for customers.
However, the account will be restricted to many banking services until BVN is registered and linked. Below are some of the services that will be restricted from the account:
- Debit or ATM card
- Cant register for online banking
- Cant make use of the bank’s mobile app
- Can not upgrade account etc
The account can only receive transfers or credit transactions.