The Presidency has denied media reports which claim that President Buhari has severe difficulty eating and drinking fluids for several days and is being fed intravenously.
On Sunday, April 30, online news forum, Sahara Reporters wrote that three insiders in the Presidency had alleged that although President Buhari’s health had held up for a while after his return from an extended medical vacation in the U.K, his condition has deteriorated in the last several weeks.
The report further stressed that President Buhari’s inability to eat or drink has made him too frail to leave his official residence at Aso Rock Villa to attend any official functions.
Read Also: Buhari Not Likely To Resign Over His Health – Presidency
But President Buhari’s personal assistant on new media Bashir Ahmad has denied the report describing it as “totally untrue.” Via his social media accounts on Sunday, April 30, Ahmad debunked the claims clarifying:
“I have received many calls and text messages this evening, asking me whether the story published on Sahara Reporters about President Muhammadu Buhari’s health status is true or not.
“The story like so many of its kind is untrue, as Garba Shehu said last week Thursday, there is no need for apprehension over President Buhari’s health.
“We pray that God continues to see Mr. President through this period of recuperation.”
According to Sahara reporters, the President’s British doctors who had reportedly sent a medical team to the Villa to attend to him had advised that he immediately returns to the United Kingdom to begin a complex and long-term treatment to elongate his life.
However, cabals in the Presidency had frustrated the president’s trip on two different occasions including the one planned for April 15.
Sahara Reporters claimed that advance teams were sent by the presidency to the UK twice to await the President’s arrival but nothing happened. It quoted a source knowledgeable of President Buhari’s condition as alleging that there was a massive coverup by the President’s close associates to confuse the Nigerian public.
“They feel that if he [President Buhari] travels abroad, they will lose the power and influence they wield when he is town,” the source said.
Meanwhile, the Arewa Peace Coalition (APC) has accused President Buhari of double standards in the anti-corruption war. In an open letter to the president titled: ‘A tale of two anti-corruption war,’ and signed by Abdulkadir Mohammed, the group expressed concern about the way the anti-corruption war was being fought by the government.
According to the group, “the suspended SGF should have been handed over to the EFCC as the federal government did to the personal physician of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr Fiberesima, who is being accused of fraud worth 285million.”
The APC opined that there was no need for an administrative panel in the investigation of the suspended SGF. They added that as Buhari’s kinsmen, their hope in his anti-corruption war was gradually fading away.
The group further stated that it considers recent happenings in the polity as a renege on the president’s promise in fighting corruption, and advised Buhari to focus on the mandate of fixing Nigeria and improving the quality of lives of the millions of Nigerians.