A 31-year-old self-confessed Boko Haram member Muhammad Abubakar on Thursday made revelations about the cruelty meted out to him for opting to abandon the movement and its violent ideals.
Abubakar said his hand and leg were chopped off because he was planning to surrender and quit the battle in Sambisa forest.
Speaking to journalists in Maiduguri during a briefing organized by Lucky Irabor, Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Muhammad Abubakar narrated his ordeal in the hands of his erstwhile brothers.
“I had told a friend, Hassan Dan-Guduma, that I was going to surrender as the movement had no meaning to me anymore.”
“Hassan Dan-Guduma initially bought my idea but later betrayed me. Just shortly after our discussion, he went and came back with three others whom I am sure he must have told them about our plan to surrender.”
“They said I was planning to exposed them to the Nigerian Government, so they did all this to me.”
“After they chopped off my right hand and left leg, they threw me into a culvert where I was left struggling, until soldiers came and rescued me.”
“All I can say is that all we had been told by Boko Haram leaders, were lies and misleading. I never joined them to kill anyone”
Lucky Irabor, the Theatre Commander, said Mr. Abubakar was still undergoing interrogation.
The Nigerian Army has over the past 18 months gained ground on the insurgents, reclaiming back territories once held in absolute Boko Haram control.
Part of the successes recorded by the Army against Boko Haram insurgency in recent times includes the confiscation of a notebook containing the names of Boko Haram members in Sambisa forest, the dreaded stronghold of the insurgents.
The latest Global Terror Index ranking however reveal that Nigeria still ranks as the third most terrorized country in the world.
Iraq is ranked number one, Afghanistan second. Pakistan, Syria, Yemen, Somalia and India are ranked fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth, respectively, while Egypt and Libya take up the remaining slots on the top ten list.