List of candidates to replace long-serving Arsenal Manager, Arsene Wenger has emerged and it is reported that Stan Kroenke, son of Arsenal owner has favoured Thierry Henry as a replacement.
Mr. Wenger’s contract with the English club will be over at the end of the summer season and he is yet to sign a new contract at the Emirates Stadium. According to sources, Juventus FC boss, Massimiliano Allegri is the leading candidate both in UK and Italy, but Kroenke is apparently pushing for Thierry Henry to make the step up.
The Gunner chief’s son has allegedly met with Henry to discuss his plans for management in the future and is said to have been hugely impressed by him. Although, it is not certain where the former Arsenal striker stands, but Kroenke will do his best to ensure the 39-year old is among the list of candidates for the job, as he feels Henry could emulate Zindedine Zidane’s rise at Real Madrid.
This would be a dream come true as Henry who is currently working as assistant manager to Roberto Martinez with the Belgian national team, has previously expressed his desire to manage his old club someday. The retired French professional footballer spent more than eight years with Arsenal during his playing days across two spells and is their all-time leading scorer with 228 goals for the north Londoners. He is also expected to pass his UEFA Pro Licence in time for the start of next season.
Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger has been the club’s manager for 20 years and since the beginning of the season, Arsenal has suffered four defeats in six games which effectively ended the club’s chances in their two biggest competitions. Many believe Wenger’s best days at the club are gone and suggesting he should give way for younger generation (maybe in the shape of a Thierry Henry) to lead the club.
In previous matches, Watford, Chelsea and Liverpool have all beaten the Gunners in the Premier League in recent weeks, while Bayern Munich brings a 5-1 lead into Tuesday’s Champions League last-16 second leg at the Emirates. Yet with those results and criticism of his recent handling of top scorer Alexis Sanchez – dropped at Anfield on Saturday – Wenger says he will not let “two weeks out of 20 years” sway his thinking as he approaches the final three months of his current deal.
Wenger said this during a press conference a day before Bayern’s visit. According to him;
“I take a bigger picture,” he said. “You do not make this kind of decision focusing on one result or two bad results.
“You have to take a bigger picture and see if you can you take this club to the next level, take yourself to the next level. Are you ready to pay the price for that?
“But as well this decision is not necessarily linked with two weeks out of 20 years you know so that’s basically…I don’t feel I box myself in a corner.”