3 Months After Detention, Pastor Opens Up On How Female Gospel Singer Died In His Hotel Room


The news about the death of a married female gospel singer, Yvonne Omoarebokhae, who died in a hotel room in Benin, Edo State, was reported on April 8, 2016.

According to the story, the lady died in the hotel room occupied by Apostle Psalm Okpe, General Overseer of Fresh Oil Ministries, Lagos, after her encounter with the man of God.

Different people gave different versions of Yvonne’s death. While some claimed that she was poisoned, others insinuated that she was drugged. Yet others insisted that she died after sleeping with the pastor, Apostle Psalm Okpe.

Eventually, an autopsy report revealed that the deceased died of a mid night heart attack, a report which was questioned by many.

In an interview with Daily Sun, Apostle Psalm Okpe finally got a chance to tell his own side of the story. He said:

“It so happened that of rumours were flying about and people have not taken time to ask for my own side of the story. So, I want to use this opportunity to address the issue. On March 18, 2016 at about 7am, I got a message inbox in my Facebook because of the previous posts I made regarding the crusades I wanted to take to all the universities.

“So, a lot of musicians across the country were sending inboxes; they wanted to join me to minister at the conferences. Of course, those who follow me on Facebook know that I give a lot of young people platform to excel; I have exposed a lot of musicians around the world. And in this country, I have taken a lot of pastors around the world.”

See Also: Husband Of Gospel Singer Who Died In Hotel Says She Was Killed By Pastor

“So, on March 18, this year, this lady, Yvonne, sent me a message, saying she wanted to join the conference. I asked her if we had met before and she said no, but that she was one of my fans on Facebook. I asked her where she was based and she said Benin. I told her I was in Benin few weeks earlier and she said that anytime I come to Benin I should let her know so she can join the conference.

“I told her I was coming to Sapele for a conference and when I eventually came, she offered to pick me from the airport. So, she came with a taxi driver and she was even the person who took me to the hotel where I paid. We moved straight away to Sapele. Sapele conference was in the morning. Having come back from the Sapele conference, everybody parted ways.”

yvonne 3
Apostle Psalm Okpe Tells His Side Of The Story About The Death Of Singer Who Died In His Hotel Room

Read More: Domestic Violence: Wife Killer Speaks From Hiding, Justifies His Action

Apostle Okpe further explained that:

The following morning, on April 8, she came at about 7am to pick me to buy some things and pick up my luggage. We came back to the hotel with the heavy bags and some people helped to carry the bags into my room. Then a friend of mine called me and said that he wanted to see me because he had just finished his church cathedral.

“He wanted me to witness what God had done and in excitement, I told her that I wanted to introduce her to my friend so that she could minister in his church the following Sunday. But she said that she wanted to go home and, perhaps, bring food for me in the evening. I rejected her offer, telling her that I would eat in the hotel in the afternoon.

“She said that she wanted to charge her phone for a few minutes because her battery was going down. Finally, I left and I told her to drop the key at the reception when leaving.”

Explaining how he got the greatest shock of his life on his return from the outing, the man of God, Apostle Psalm Okpe said:

“I came back after five hours and asked the receptionist for my key. The receptionist looked for the key but couldn’t find it. They asked if I left anybody in the room and I told them that the person I left there should have gone. I went up and knocked on the door but there was no response. I came back to the reception and a waiter went up with me. We opened the door and saw lady neatly dressed and lying down on the bed. I never slept on that bed that day.

“If it were to be in America where they do finger prints and all that, I think I wouldn’t have passed through this storm the way it happened. Coming in, I was on the phone on a very long international call that lasted for about 55 minutes because they were planning for a conference in Louisiana, USA. So, the pastor was talking to me regarding how to send my tickets among other things.

“Eventually, I started looking into her eyes because I was expecting that with the way I was talking on top of my voice, she would have made some movement or something like that but there was no such. So, I was the one that went to her shook her leg and hit her hand but she did not respond. So, I raised the alarm; I called the hotel management and they called the police. We called the ambulance and the police and I took her to the hospital. When we got there, the doctor pronounced her dead.”

See Again: Female Gospel Singer Dies In Hotel After Ministration

“It was a very traumatic moment for me. One, she was a total stranger I never met anywhere. We were just trying to build father-daughter relationship spiritually. Unfortunately, that was what happened. We took her to the mortuary; it was very traumatic. I really felt so bad; it was like my whole world was collapsing.

“We couldn’t open her phone because it was pass-worded; nobody could call with it. I suggested to the police officers to remove the sim card and one of them put it inside his phone and later called one honorable that linked us to the husband. As at that time, I was already in detention.”

Meanwhile, The Benue State-born televangelist, was arrested and detained for about two months and later regained freedom on June 2, 2016.

Whether Apostle Psalm Okpe is telling the truth or not, only God knows. Sometimes I wish the dead could speak!