APGA Acting National Chairman, Okpochengene Dies At 47


The acting National Chairman of the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, Nwabueze Okafor, a.k.a. Okpochengene has died. He reportedly died on Sunday morning Jan. 8th after a brief illness.

Also See: Former Niger State Governor Abdulkadir Kure Is Dead

The party released an official statement on Monday confirming the demise of its chairman.

“Though his family could not be reached for comments, particularly his younger brother, Chibuzor Okafor who is an SSA to the Governor of Enugu state, another political ally of our deceased National Chairman said Ozo Okafor died at Niger Foundation Hospital in Enugu after a brief and sudden illness.

“We were informed that our National Chairman complained of weakness on January 5, 2017 and was rushed to Niger Foundation Hospital where he lost the battle three days later on the January 8. May his soul rest in peace.”

His political associate, the Assistant National Financial Secretary of APGA, Okecheckwu Nkolagu, also confirmed his death.

“It is unbelievable because he has been a vibrant young man. He suddenly became ill and was rushed to the hospital where he died,” the erstwhile federal lawmaker stated.

Platinum Lounge owned by the deceased, also released a press statement last night announcing the death of its CEO.

“With deep regret and so much pain in our hearts, we wish to announce the passing on of a hero, a father, a brother and a mentor, the CEO of PLATINUM EVENTS SPLENDOUR CENTRE; Chief Nwabueze Okafor (Okpochengene) aka Don Mario. We deeply regret to say we are shutting down operations till next weekend in respect for a fallen hero.”

Circumstances surrounding the demise of the young politician, who was a two-term chairman of Enugu South Local Council, were still sketchy as at the time of filing this report.

Also See: Pastor Adeboye Accuses FG Of Instituting Anti-Christian Laws, Calls On RCCG To Prepare For 2019

Okafor became APGA’s ‘acting’ chair following the alleged removal from office of Chief Victor Umeh in October last year by the members of the National Working Committee (NWC), a case that is still before the Federal High Court, Abuja.