Abducted Bayelsa Girl Says She Wants To Remain In Kano


On Monday via an audio recording, Ese Oruru, a teenager who was kidnapped from Bayelsa State to Kano, said she was not interested in reuniting with her family. Ese, who now bears Aisha Chuwas, claims she was not abducted from her home, rather she went to Kano to convert to Islam, willingly.

See Also: “Boko Haram No Longer A Threat To Nigeria” – Buhari

“My name is Aisha Chuwas. I am 17-year-old. I came here to be a Muslim and I will stay here,” she said in the audio.

A human rights lawyer, Huwaila Mohammed, was given access to Ese at the Zonal Police Headquarters in Kano, where they had a recorded interrogatory session. Mrs Huwaila  in her conversation Miss Oruru, said she understood the girl was never forced to convert to Islam.

“I was there to protect her rights. When I approached her initially, she refused to talk to me. Later she opened up to me. She is very defiant. She told me she was born in February 1999.

“I personally wanted her to reunite with her family, but surprisingly she asked me to tell her mother that she will never return to Bayelsa. The police should ensure that she is protected and returned to her family. She is still not matured enough to take such a weighty decision without parental consent,” Ms. Mohammed said.

Free Ese

The police interrogator also spoke with Miss Oruru’s lover, Yunusa Yellow. From her conversation, she was made to understand that Yunsi was only 18-year-old “not anywhere above 20” as earlier reports had stated.

“I was surprised when I saw a very small boy. He is just 18-year old. I was enraged thinking that it was an old man involved in the saga. From the way I see it, they eloped not because of religion but love. But Miss Oruru is a minor, and under Nigerian law, she is not considered matured enough to take a decision to convert to another religion and leave her parents,” she said.

Contrary to public view, the Emir of Kano denied reports that he was holding Miss Oruru. He said that since September last year, the Emirate Council handed her over to AIG Zone 1, Tambari Yabo, for onward transportation to her family in Bayelsa. He said the district head of Kura brought the case to the palace when Mr. Yunusa presented Ms. Oruru to the district office, seeking approval to marry her. The emir’s Chief of Staff, Munir Sanusi, further shed lights on the matter, saying the emir ordered that she be return to her family as she was too young to take such decision.

“The Emir attached the girl with the palace emissary, Jakadan Mallam, and one of her relatives to go to the police headquarters,” Mr. Sanusi said. Since she alleged threats from members of his family, we involved the police to provide security.”

Meanwhile, the Bayelsa State governor, Seriake Dickson, said he was on top of the situation as he had spoken to his Kano State counterpart, Abdullahi Ganduje, on the matter. The governor’s Special Adviser on Media, Francis Agbo, said Mr. Seriake had discussed the matter with Mr. Ganduje on several occasions to ensure a faster resolution of the crisis. However, Oruru’s kidnapper, has been arrested and detained at the Zone 1 Police Headquarters, Kano.

Read Also:  Nigerian Army Deploys Combat Motorbike Battalion To Eradicate Boko Haram