You certainly must have heard that you can’t wash your eyes with soap, and can’t count your hair. These are among the most common facts on earth. However, there are many rare ones that you haven’t heard about. The test for a statement of fact is usually verification, so if you doubt some of the facts on this list that seem so untrue, then put it to test and differentiate it from myths or mere rumours. Here are some amazing facts you should know.
1. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep your eyes from shedding tears.
2. People say “Bless you” when you sneeze because your heart stops for a millisecond when you sneeze and that could lead to death if the heart doesn’t restart immediately.
3. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
4. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
5. Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
6. Ants hate cucumbers so when cucumber skins are placed in/around ant holes, it chases the ants away.
7. Cleaning a mirror with sprite makes its sparkle.
8. To remove chewing gum from clothes, keep the cloth in the freezer for one hour before washing.
9. Men think about sex 19 times a day, while women think about sex 10 times a day.
10. A person can live without food for about a month, but only about a week without water.
11. What is called “French kiss” in the English-speaking world, is known in France as “English kiss”.
12. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.
13. Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
14. To whiten white clothes: soak them in hot water with a slice of Lemon for 10 minutes before washing.
15. To give a shine to your hair, add one teaspoon of vinegar to it before washing.
16. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
17. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
18. If the amount of water in your body is reduced by just 1%, you’ll feel thirsty. If it’s reduced by 10%, you’ll die.
19. Hot water is heavier than cold water of same quantity.
20. The female lion does ninety percent of the hunting.
21. A crocodile can’t move its tongue and cannot chew. Its digestive juices are so strong that it can digest a steel nail.
22. Snails breathe through their feet.
23. You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath.
24. Money notes are not made from paper, they are made from a special blend of cotton and linen.
25. To remove ink from clothes, put a generous amount of toothpaste on the ink spot, allow to dry completely, then wash off.
26. The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male’s head off.
27. To get maximum juice out of lemons, soak lemon in hot water for one hour before juicing. Same goes for orange and grape.
28. You can’t breathe through your nose with your tongue out.
29. To avoid the smell of cabbage while cooking, keep a piece of bread on the cabbage.
30. Tea is said to have been discovered in 2737 BC by a Chinese emperor when some tea leaves accidentally blew into a pot of boiling water.
31. It’s against the law to belch or sneeze in a church in Nebraska, USA.
32. A human is born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.
33. Just like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different.
34. Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not.
35. Black pepper serves as an insecticide for rats.
36. About 90% of heart attacks occur during the early hours of the morning, to reduce this take a glass of water before going to bed at night.
37. A shrimp’s heart is in its head.
38. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
39. A duck’s quack doesn’t echo even in an empty room.
40. In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
41. Most lipsticks contain fish scales.
42. Sound travels 15 times faster through steel than through the air.
43. Human birth control pills work on gorillas.
44. A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball of rubber.
45. Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries.
46. The word “queue” is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
47. Owls are the only birds that can see the colour blue.
48. A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue.
49. The average person laughs 10 times a day.
50. An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
See Also: 200 Fun Trivia Questions And Answers
51. If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
52. Most men especially Nigerians suffer from Gametophobia: fear of getting married, and staying committed.
53. 27% of all food production in Western nations ends up in garbage cans. Yet, 1.2 billion people are underfed.
54. Ostriches can run faster than horses, and the males can roar like lions.
55. Sharks and Rays don’t have bones and they are the only animals that don’t get cancer.
56. The porpoise is second to man as the most intelligent animal on the planet.
57. Coca-Cola drink would be green if colouring weren’t added to it.
58. A pig’s orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
59. The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
60. Leonardo da Vince could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.
61. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death.
62. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because farting in a space suit damages the suit.
63. Beetles taste like apples, wasps like peanuts, and worms like fried bacon.
64. “Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
65. More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
66. Honey is the only food that does not spoil.
67. Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian and had only ONE testicle.
68. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a “Friday the 13th.”
69. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
70. The hardest part of being in a new relationship is learning how to suppress fart all over again.
71. Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks – otherwise, it will digest itself.
72. “Rhythm” is the longest English word without a vowel.
73. A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off.
74. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
75. Gorillas sleep as much as fourteen hours per day.
76. On average, dogs have better eyesight than humans, although not as colourful.
77. Cats often rub up against people and furniture to lay their scent and mark their territory.
78. You can tell the sex of a horse by its teeth. Most males have 40, females have 36.
79. Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day.
80. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.
81. Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe.