Do not be surprised to meet your teenage daughter on Facebook, and if she isn’t there yet, she will own an account in just a matter of months. Since the launch of this online social networking services in 2004, billions of people worldwide have enjoyed the benefits as well as hazards associated with having one’s “face/life” on a billboard. 31 year old Jewish-American computer programmer and Internet entrepreneur, Mark Zuckerberg, and four of his Harvard College roommates, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes founded Facebook social network when Mark was only 20 years old.
The idea was to create a platform for Harvard students to interact. It later grew to accommodate students from other universities across the country and then to the entire people on earth who are interested. So far Facebook has become the most used, most popular and most addictive social media in the history of social networking. However, as common as it seems, there are a lot of things you may not know about Facebook. Check out this list of Facebook facts.
1. The name “Facebook” comes from a colloquialism for the directory given to it by American university students.
2. Facebook’s theme is basically blue because the major founder, Mark Zuckerberg, suffers red-green color blindness.
3. Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook.
4. As of March 2015, Facebook had about 10,082 employees.
5. Instagram and WhatsApp are major subsidiary social networks of Facebook.
6. As of 2014, the total assets of Facebook was US$40.184 billion.
7. Facebook is estimated to spend US$30 million monthly on hosting alone.
8. Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in the world and is among the top 10 richest persons on earth with a net worth of about US$38.6 billion.
9. The number of Facebook users worldwide hit one billion in 2012.
10. In Same 2012, Mark Zuckerberg married his wife of Asian decent, Priscilla Chan. The couple are expecting their first child after experiencing several miscarriages in the past years.
11. Since 2010, Time magazine has named Zuckerberg among the 100 wealthiest and most influential people in the world as a part of its Person of the Year distinction.
12. Smartphone users check Facebook 14 times a day.
13. There are about 30 million dead people on Facebook whose accounts are still active.
14. The legal age for anyone to be allowed registration access on Facebook is 13, although the age requirement may be higher depending on applicable local laws.
15. The “Like” button on Facebook was originally going to be called“Awesome”.
16. According to Facebook data analysis, the weeks before Christmas is the most popular time for couples to break up.
17. 8.7% of Facebook users are fake.
18. Facebook looses almost US$25,000 for every minute it is down.
19. Every minute, 1.8 million new “likes” are made on Facebook.
20. There are more Facebook users in Nigeria, than Nigerian citizens who voted in the last election.
21. According to a study, 1 in 3 people feel more dissatisfied with their lives after viewing people’s profile, recent pictures and status on Facebook.
22. Zuckerberg was played by actor Jesse Eisenberg in the 2010 film The Social Network, in which the rise of Facebook is portrayed.
23. The average Facebook U S. user spends 40 minutes a day on the site.
24. You can change your language on Facebook to “Pirate.”
25. Several people have been murdered for unfriending someone on Facebook.