Three suicide bombers have reportedly lost their lives early on Friday morning, in an attempt to detonate Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) strapped to their bodies in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
The suicide bombing which occurred on Damboa road, near a petrol station in Maiduguri at about 3:00 am Friday morning was said to have been carried out by two girls and a boy.
Eyewitnesses reportedly saw the girls and a boy hiding under a tanker in the early hours of the morning. They later detonated their suicide vests while civilian security volunteers were trying to persuade them to come out from hiding and cast off their IEDS.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), three petrol tankers were said to have been destroyed as a result of the explosion.
The Borno state Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu, who confirmed the Maiduguri blast said the corpses have been evacuated.
Damboa, one of the entry points into the city has recorded at least three bomb explosions in the past.
In February, a policeman died and another one was injured by bandits while on patrol around Kubuwa village, also in Damboa local government of Borno state.
The ambush was the second in two days as a military convoy had been attacked the previous day, along the same Damboa road with casualties from both the military and civilian side.
Meanwhile, report has it that talks between the federal government and Boko Haram militants over the release of some 200 schoolgirls abducted from Chibok almost three years ago could extend to negotiating peace in the conflict-hit northeast.
Reuters reports that the mediator between the Nigerian government and the insurgents, Zannah Mustapha said negotiations with the group, which has waged a seven-year campaign to create an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria, must go beyond the fate of the estimated 195 girls still held captive.
“We need to be able to transform from the Chibok girls to the cessation of hostilities,”
“There will be no reconstruction as long as hostilities continue. “f you return the girls, how are you going to protect them? Are the military going to remain there for eternity?”
For more than two years there was no sign of the abducted Chibok girls, whose kidnapping sparked global outrage and a celebrity-backed campaign #bringbackourgirls.
But the discovery of one of the girls with a baby last May fuelled hopes for their safety with two other girls found in later months. The release of 21 girls in October was an additional boost for President Muhammadu Buhari’s government.
Buhari has said he is committed to ensuring the Chibok girls are reunited with their families, and the state says Boko Haram are willing to negotiate the release of more girls.