Ever met someone having a bruise-like mark with the shape of a mouth, teeth or even a bug bite? Well that might be Hickey. For those who are not familiar with the word, ‘Hickey’ is a bruise or bruise-like mark caused by the kissing or suckling of the skin, usually on the neck or arm. A hickey may at times seem innocent enough, but they look ugly because they’re often in the shape of a mouth that has been puckered up so as to give some maximum sucking action.
How does a Hickey Occur?
The human body has different types of blood vessels that help transport blood around but the smallest of all the vessels are called capillaries. When someone gives you a hickey (also known as love bite) with some extreme intensity, the capillaries break, creating what looks like an ugly bruise. We can therefore say that hickeys are actually broken blood vessels just under the surface of the skin that blood has come out of. The blood that has clotted under the skin is generally red at first but then, as it is no longer getting oxygen, the blood dries out and turns into a darker purple or brown color.
Where to Give a Hickey
Hickeys are often considered a mark of possession by the person giving them, a kiss mark that can be given by either a male or female partner. It is a mild form of getting pleasure from inflicting pain that can be sexual or non-sexual in nature.
It’s really does not take a big deal for partners to share hickey marks. But it is important for you to be conscious of there to pin down such mark.As a love bite, people love to give their partners hickey in a more visible parts in the body.These soft spots include the neck, cheek, back, shoulder and some times on the chest.
Areas around the Shoulder
Other Interesting Facts About Hickeys
- A hickey is not gender exclusive. It can be given and received by both guys and girls
- Hickey is an a kind of sign of ownership, like a mark of pride. It’s sort of a primitive way of saying “This boy is mine!” or “This girl belongs to me!”
- Hickey can last a couple weeks before it finally disappears. It slowly gets dull in color as each day passes and before you know it, you have a nasty looking yellow-brown spot that fades completely there after.
- Eating food rich in iron can help in making your hickey appear less.
- Hickey can help the spread of viruses from one partner to the other. If your partner has infection of the lips, mouth, or gums caused by the herpes simplex virus and they lean in to give you a hickey while one of their cold sores is active, that contact against your skin can result in them giving you the virus.
- Hickey appears not to have a cure but it has been found that the healthier you are, the faster the little buggers will heal.
- Be sure to have a scar if your hickey is deep and your skin is light.
- Hickey is a sexual mark and some people may wish to avoid the embarrassment of being caught with a hickey, or the hassle of trying to cover one up so you should never give one without sussing out your partner’s feelings on the matter first.