UPDATE: Nigerian Troops Repel Boko Haram Attacks Yesterday


The news update this morning reports that the Nigerian troops had restored normalcy to Kareto town in northern Borno State, after a drawn-out gun battle with the Boko Haram fighters on Monday.

Army spokesperson, Sani Usman, had on Monday announced that the Nigerian troops were engaged in a deadly gun battle with Boko Haram fighters.

“Please be informed that our troops are currently engaged in fierce battle with Boko Haram terrorists at Kareto, Northern Borno State,” Mr. Usman, said.

The Colonel, who promised to send an update on the fresh attack said after nearly 10 hours of fierce battle, that the army won the battle.

“The troops successfully repelled the attack and killed quite a number of the terrorists.”

“The situation has since been brought under control and reinforcement sent. So far, 2 officers and 22 soldiers are wounded in action.”

The statement also said the wounded officers and men were evacuated to the military hospital in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Nigerian troops have in recent months succeeded in pushing out the terror group from most of its bases across the restive north-east, towards Cameroon and Chad who are in collaboration with Nigerian troops in the fight against Boko Haram insurgent.

Last week Saturday, the Army also announced the seizure of high calibres of ammunition hidden underground by Boko Haram sect, including an underground Food Bank and gadgets used by the insurgent to monitor movements of the Army.

The Nigerian Army chief, Tukur Buratai, had on Sunday, alongside prominent politicians from Borno supervised the reopening of a major highway linking Borno and neighbouring Yobe State which was blocked by Boko Haram for over three years during their thriving days in the state.

Residents of Buni Yadi, a town held captive by Boko Haram, also returned to their town enmasse on Sunday following its liberation by Nigerian troops.

Read Also: NLC Orders Senators To Return Exotic Cars Else…