Even though gender equality is not anywhere close to being really equal, some significant progress have been made on the issue around the world. But there are some parts of the world where things still seem to be as they were from the get-go. This is exactly where our country Nigeria takes a spot, a culture entirely influenced by men where women experience immensely complicated things. Women still have no right to stay happily single either by chance or by decision in Nigeria. Instead, the naturally single ones are seen as failures, losers, write-off (insert more adjective)
Even Statistics show that only 3% of single women of marriageable age in Nigeria are not disturbed or cajoled by their lack of a spouse either by their families, friends or their inner human! The other 97% face the ordeal of being disturbed by people around them and on that account, would do just about anything to become Mrs. ‘Somebody”. That aside, women in marriage do everything out of the ordinary not to make their marriage fail.
So women in boldness have decided to jack up the fight for their right on social media. This is because it has become a daily scrabble for the voice of women to be heard. They deemed Twitter the right platform to win over this struggle and so took to Twitter to express their feelings of outrage, inability to defend or act effectively on their own and frustration concerning the sexism under the hashtags #BeingFemaleInNigeria and #BeingAWomanInNigeria (Being a woman in Nigeria)
Here a compilation of the best comments so far about what it is like to be a woman in Nigeria which Nigerian women are speaking about on Twitter.
As we read on, we are going to see some rather unorthodox things Nigerian women experience just for their gender! Some are odd, some are dirty and unpleasant and some are downright heartbreaking.
When she gets raped| why did you dress like that? When she gets beaten by her husband? | What did you do to him? #BeingFemaleInNigeria
— JJ. Omojuwa (@Omojuwa) June 30, 2015
To accept that all men cheat and that it is the woman's responsibility to save the relationship. #BeingAWomanInNigeria
— Folasade Olowu (@sademeta) July 1, 2015
— Yelosisi (@Karoloflyf) July 1, 2015
— Chisaraokwu (@theAfroLegalise) December 13, 2015
#BeingfemaleinNigeria is being told countless times that I will never find a husband because I am "too ambitious" and outspoken.
— Lucrezia Borgia (@KhaleesiNU) June 30, 2015
#BeingAWomanInNigeria Ur physical attributes are prioritised above ur intellectual capabilities. U are constantly reminded 'U're a Woman'.
— Adaora Williams (@sleeksuzzy) July 1, 2015
#BeingAWomanInNigeria your biography must always end with "she is a loving wife and mother of…."
— Fadekemi Agarau (@kemiagas) June 30, 2015
You must not make a mistake of letting your husband cook whenever his family is around. Else U av bewitched him #BeingAWomanInNigeria
— FIT FOOT COLLECTION (@iam_theobat) July 1, 2015
People think you are sad and lonely and Ugly when they hear you're a feminist.#BeingAWomanInNigeria
— Eunice. (@_sizwee) July 1, 2015