Eating Canned Foods In Rusty Containers Causes Tetanus, Cancer


A medical expert, Dr. Owolabi Adebayo, has warned Nigerians against eating canned foods and drinking in rusty containers.

Dr. Adebayo, who gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin on Monday, said that eating from rusted containers could cause some lower forms of tetanus in the body.

He said rusted cans could have tiny holes which allowed bacteria to enter the food or drink, adding that any case as such could be disastrous to the health.

Also See: These Poisonous Foods Are Killing Nigerians – Minister Of Agriculture

The medical expert added that  consuming foods and drinks from rusted containers could also cause cancer.

“There are some things people do not take serious, and one of them is drinking and eating from rusted containers because they may not be aware of the health implications.

“Rusted cans have tiny holes which allowed bacteria to penetrate the foods or drinks consumed by many Nigerians. Nigerians should stop consuming food from rusted containers because that is serious food poisoning.”

He also advised dealers not to store foods and drinks in cans under the sun or rain for too long to avoid rusting before they were distributed.

Rusty containers
Foods and drinks in rusty containers are unsafe for consumption

Adebayo called on the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to take adequate measures to ensure that manufacturers and dealers do not circulate rusted canned foods and drinks in the country.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, had also recently stated that the health of Nigerians are daily been threatened by the consumption of items such as pure water and smuggled frozen chicken which according to him poisonous foods and is detrimental to health.

Also See: Revealed! N20m Spent In Treating President Buhari’s Ear Infection

He also said that preparing foods like “moi moi” in cellophane, otherwise known as nylon, is poisonous because nylon contains a large dosage of dioxins which are naturally inactive in leaves when used to package such food.