Real Madrid have confirmed that Alvaro Morata will return to the club this summer. The announcement came soon after Juventus general manager Beppe Marotta had said he expected Morata to go back to Real.
Juve general director, Giuseppe Marotta had earlier revealed that the striker, who has started all of Spain’s matches in Euro 2016 group stage and scored in Spain’s 2-1 shock defeat to Croatia on Tuesday night, would be heading back to his homeland.
Marotta had also stated earlier that: “Real Madrid are going to exercise their right to buy him back. We’re just waiting for them to get in touch and then we’ll see, but the chance of him staying is slim.”
Morata left Real for Juventus in 2014, but the Spanish giants have now decided to exercise a clause in his contract to bring the 23-year old back to the Bernabeu. The club statement read:
“Real Madrid have informed Juventus of their decision to recover the federative rights on the player Alvaro Morata, who will join up with the first team for pre-season training under the orders of Zinedine Zidane.”
The fee for Morata has not been announced but reports in Spain suggest it is in the region of €30 million (£23 million). Reports have suggested that Madrid could now sell Morata on to another side for a profit.
It remains to be seen if Morata will remain with the Champions League winners for next season or if he will be sold on for a profit, with a number of English clubs said to be interested.
Juve may renew their attempt to sign Domenico Berardi, also linked with Inter Milan, from Sassuolo after seeing an initial approach rejected.