The Ondo State House of Assembly Speaker, Rt. Hon. Jumoke Akindele and her deputy, Hon. Fatai Olotu have been impeached by 18 lawmakers.
18 out of the 26 members of the House carried out the impeachment in the official residence of one of the lawmakers at about 10PM Tuesday night.
They elected Hon Iroju Ogundeji from Odigbo loca government as new Speaker and Ayo Arowele, from Owo local government as Deputy Speaker respectively.
No word on the reasons for the lawmakers’ action has however been officially given, but it was gathered that the house members were angry with the leadership for failing to protect their interest.
Have You Seen: Ekiti Lawmakers Offered $1m To Impeach Gov. Fayose
Sources say the lawmakers complained of being owed three months salary, with some of them having no official quarters. They were said to have accused the leadership of failing to protect the larger interest of members and also of becoming a stooge of the governor, Olusegun Mimiko.
The names of members that signed the impeachment of the former speaker and deputy are:
1. Hon Arowele Ayodeji – Owo const 1
2. Hon Iroju Ogundeji – Odigbo 1
3. Hon. Olusola Oluyede – Ose
4. Hon. Akindiose Olusoji – Ondo East
5. Hon. Akintimehin Tuyi – Idanre
6. Hon. Akinruntan Abayomi – Ilaje 1
7. Hon. Fajolu Abimbola – Ileoluji –Okeigbo
8. Hon. Araoyinbo Olugbenga – Akoko NE
9. Hon. Olusegun Ajimotokin – Irele
10. Hon. Jamiu Suleiman Maito – AKoko NW 1
11. Hon. Felemu Olusegun – Akoko SW 2
12. Hon. Coker Adeniyi Malachi – Ilaje 2
13. Hon. Towase O Kuti – Akoko SE
14. Hon Kazeem M O S -Akoko SW1
15. Hon. Obadiah Vincent – Ese Odo
16. Hon. Ade Adeniyi – Ondo West 1
17. Hon. Olamide George – Akure North
18. Hon. Mukaila Musa – Owo 2
The premises of the House of Assembly has been barricaded with armed policemen stationed at the entrance to forestall any breakdown of law and order as a result of the development.