Nigerian Army Dismisses 5 Soldiers Over Extortion


The Nigerian Army on Tuesday dismissed five soldiers attached to the 176 Brigade Command from service for extorting money from people. Commander of the Guard Brigade, Brigadier General M.S. Yusuf disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday during an interactive meeting with journalists in his office, he said;

“I want to inform you that five soldiers attached to the 176 Brigade Command in Gwagwalada Abuja, were dismissed recently for collecting money from members of the public.

“This has become necessary because we want the best from our soldiers, and this can only be achieved if we have a good understanding with other citizens of Nigerians, as it would help in bridging the gap between us and the civilians.”

Brigadier Yusuf said the entitlements of all the soldiers on guard in the various formations in the country, are always paid upfront before they are deployed and based on this, we would not tolerate anyone of them collecting any gratification whatsoever from people.

“We do everything possible to make them conducive at their place of primary assignments,” he said.

Read Also: 3,032 Pardoned Soldiers Say No To Redeployment To Fight Boko Haram

He however challenged the National Orientation Agency to also work out modalities of educating the civilian public on their relationship with the military. He appealed for the support of the media in bridging the gap between the military and civilian.

Recall that, earlier in the month, the Nigerian Army said it would not reabsorb the 250 soldiers dismissed for failing to join their colleagues posted to the north-east.

This set of 250 soldiers who were dismissed on the grounds of gross acts of indiscipline, cowardice, and absence without leave, protested their dismissal in Nigerian Union of journalists (NUJ) Secretariat, Kaduna, pleading through the media to be reabsorbed back again into the Nigerian Army.

They were part of the 2,023 dismissed soldiers last year that were earlier reinstated back into the Service by the present Chief of Army Staff. But the set of the 250 soldiers absconded for more than one week when they were told that they were to move to North East on the 6th of January 2016.

See Also: Army To Deploy Darfur Returnee Soldiers To The North-East