Neymar Summoned In Court Over Fraud Case


Barcelona striker, Neymar has been ordered to appear in Spanish court next month, along with Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell over the transfer deal that took him from Santos to Barcelona.

The Brazilian investment fund, DIS alleges it was a victim when Barcelona signed the player, who ranked third in the latest World Football Player of the Year poll from Brazilian club, Santos.

The outfit claim they should have received a higher portion of the original fee than they did.

The club has said it acted “fully within the law” and rejected the accusations contained in the DIS suit.

Judge Jose de la Mata has requested Neymar to appear in court February 2 to give evidence regarding the fraud and corruption charges relating to his 2013 move.

Also See :Zinedine Zidane 2nd Choice To Jose Mourinho At Real Madrid Says Ramon Caldero

The judge in a statement on Wednesday said  that the prosecutor’s requests are “relevant, necessary and balanced” for them to require an examination of the facts.

A previous court investigation revealed Barcelona paid €83 million for the 23-year old and the club had initially announced it as much less but DIS only received 40 percent of €17 million. 

In an interview with SPORT at the end of last year, Neymar’s father that the family is “suffering from huge insecurity” because of the off-the-pitch problems.

 Although Neymar is currently in talks with the club over a new deal, his father says he needs “judicial security” before committing to a new deal.

Current Barcelona president, Josep Maria Bartomeu will also appear in court one day earlier than Neymar, as well as  the Catalan club’s former president Sandro Rosell. 

The fraud saga has also led to Barcelona, Rosell and Bartomeu facing trial for tax fraud.

Bartomeu, Rosell, who resigned over the allegations, and the club have been accused of defrauding the tax office of some 13 million euros ($14.1 million). All three have denied any wrongdoing.

Both Bartomeu and Rosell could face prison sentences for their role in the transfer, while the club could be hit with a fine of more than €20 million.