Writing an article like this at this time may seem a little unfitting, but I know it’ll help a lot of people. The truth is that a very high percentage of people don’t pray at all, not to talk of praying early in the morning. They attribute it to one thing or the other. Some do not see the need to pray. This group of people are self-sufficient, multi-talented, proud and can’t seem to make any time for their creator. Some do not even know how to pray while others don’t want to get up so early to pray. But no matter your category, I strongly recommend the early morning as one crucial time for a disciplined, regular meeting with God over the Word and prayer.
Why it is Important to Start your Day with Prayer?
Excess sleep is harmful. People go late to school, college and work all because they got up late. “How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. (Proverbs 6:9-11)”
Let’s outline 10 reasons why you should pray in the morning
1. You Did Not Wake Yourself Up (Psalm 3:5)
You went to bed, not knowing whether you will wake up. You fixed appointments and planned what you will do the next day. You even set the alarm, but wait…who told you that you will wake up? You didn’t know for sure. People die, yes, people do. Just like you, they go to bed and with their alarms set, yet they don’t wake up. But you did. You woke up, and you think it’s on your accord? C’mon, you should know better…God sent his angels to tap you and you woke up. You should pray to Him.
2. You Should Appreciate The One Who Did (Psalm 103:1-5)
This is the first thing to do when you wake, Thank Him! You may ask, But why? Because you can. They are people who can’t. People just went to bed sound but didn’t get up from the bed, so you see, reasons abound why you should thank God. Many couldn’t even sleep well, but you did. Make it a point at least to thank Him.
3. You Woke Up Hale And Hearty (Psalm 34:20)
This reason for praying is so striking. Do you know life is more spiritual than it is physical? Okay, don’t get confused. Have you ever seen the devil? You obviously haven’t. So why do you see his works manifesting in the physical? Your guess is as good as mine. If you woke up healthy any day, the devil just lost a battle. He tried to hurt you but the angels of God stopped him. Many people have been attacked in their dream, many people wake up with different kinds of diseases. But God protected you from all of it.
4. You Don’t Know What The New Day Holds (Proverbs 3:5-6)
You are a human being and thus, limited in scope. You do not know what is in store for your new day. Bearing in mind the fact that not everyone that left their houses in the morning, returned to them, you may see that there is need to depend on God for sustenance throughout the day. Yes, He already promised to keep us safe during the day. But we need to remind Him of that through prayer. Invite Him into your day because he comes to the aid of only those who invite Him.
5. You Need God In Your Day (Romans 8:31)
The bible states categorically, Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all (Psalm 34:19). The saying that goes thus, One with God is majority is also very true. Getting up in the morning to pray is partnering with God for the rest of the day and partnering with God is the secret for sweatless victories throughout the day.
6. To Cancel The Works Of Satan (2 Corinthians 2:11)
Satan is a long time enemy of man. He has eternally vowed to destroy man. He seeks out new and crafty ways to lure man to his grave every day. So when you wake up in the morning, you should take authority over all the works of darkness and over all the power of the enemy. If you don’t do this, you may play to the ‘wiles’ of the devil without knowing it. Note that the devil shivers when you get on your knees to pray.
7. To Provide For Your Daily Bread/Needs (Matthew 6:11)
Here is another point for you to pray in the morning. Every day you wake up to see is a ‘blank cheque’ given to you by your creator. Whatever you fill in it is what you will ‘cash’ as the day unfolds. Matthew 7:7 say we should ask and it will be given to us. The early hours for the day seem to me as the perfect opportunity to ask whatever you desire from God having the confidence that he will grant us our heart desires.
8. To Intercede On Behalf Of Your Friends/Family Members (Ezekiel 22:30)
Praying for your family, friends and loved ones in the morning have an important rule to play in their life during the day because we don’t know what would have happen to them if not your prayer. Standing in the gap for others in the morning is very important.
9. You Experience Joy All Day Long
When you start your day by praying, you fill your mind with wisdom, peace, strength, revelation, joy and fellowship with your heavenly Father. At the same time your moving out of your way adversity, strife, fears, temptations and depression. Just a few minutes in the morning with your heavenly Father can make all the difference in the world. Besides, there is nothing He wants more.
10. You Develop The “Early Bird” Culture (Luke 1:35)
Waking up early in the morning is good for heath but this is a virtue not very many can boast of. The truth is, excess sleep negates good health. But when you develop the habit of praying in the morning, you would have cultivated the discipline of waking up early.
12 Tips on How to Start Waking up and Paying Early
- Examine your current reasons for not getting up earlier to pray. It may be good but realize that praying is better.
- Cultivate a mental environment. Read about the benefits of rising early. Research about great men who were ‘early birds.’
- Cultivate discipline. Be a ‘get to’ person.
- Create some accountability. Let someone monitor you.
- Don’t eat heavily for dinner.
- Drink sufficient water during the day.
- Set a loud alarm. But keep it in such a way that you have to stand up or walk about to get it turned off.
- Don’t sleep late even if your health is very normal.
- Avoid watching late night TV or late night calls.
- Avoid sleeping with anger, bitterness or unforgiveness.
- Pray to God for this and he’ll give you the desire of your heart.
- Don’t lay down to pray. Leave the bed. You may even wash your face or mouth before praying.