The senators of Nigeria’s 7th National Assembly (outgoing legislature) were comprised of 4 political parties which included the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), the Labour Party (LP), the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The PDP controlled the National Legislative arm of Government (both the Senate and House of Representatives) with majority members but with the outcome of the recently concluded National assembly elections, the story will be different by June 6 when the Upper and Lower house will be inaugurated.
With a membership of only 109, the APC claimed 60 seats while PDP claimed the remaining 49 seats. This makes them the only two parties in the senate with PDP becoming the minority party and therefore the main opposition party in the Senate.
Unfortunately for the PDP, their story of defeat continues even to the House of Representatives. The APC will also be the majority in the Lower house in the 8th National Assembly for Nigeria. . With 11 federal constituency seats yet to be decided in Jigawa State, APC already have 214 seat while the PDP has 125 seats. Other parties like The Accord Party (AP), All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), and the Labour Party (LP) have 10 seats between them.
Here is the list of elected senators and their parties in alphabetical order of the states:
- Mao Ohuabunwa (Abia North, PDP)
- Theodore Orji (Abia Central, PDP)
- Enyinnaya Abaribe (Abia South, PDP)
- Binta Masi Garba (Adamawa North, APC)
- Ahmadu Abubakar (Adamawa South, APC)
- Abdul Aziz Murtala Nyako (Adamawa Central, APC)
- Bassey Albert Akpan (A/Ibom North, PDP)
- Godswill Akpabio (A/Ibom West, PDP)
- Nelson Effiong (A/Ibom South, PDP)
- Uche Ekwunife (Anambra Central, PDP)
- Andy Uba (Anambra South, PDP)
- Stella Oduah (Anambra North, PDP)
- Isah Hamma Misau (Bauchi Central, APC)
- Ali Wakili (Bauchi South, APC)
- Suleiman Nazif (Bauchi North, APC)
- Ben Murray-Bruce (Bayelsa East, PDP)
- Emanuel Paulker (Bayelsa Central, PDP)
- Ogola Foster (Bayelsa West, PDP)