Citizens Of Iraq Can Now Travel To America As Donald Trump Signs Revised Immigration Policy!
After banning seven countries from entering the United States of America, Donald Trump signs the revised Immigration Policy, taking Iraq off the List.
According to White House Senior Administration Officials, President Donald Trump signed a revised executive order for a U.S. travel ban on Monday 7th March.
This development happened after his controversial first attempt was blocked in the courts. The officials said that the new order will keep a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. by citizens of six Muslim-majority nations, Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
White House spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders had said earlier that the new order would take effect on March 16. The new directive delays implementation to limit the disruption that created havoc for some travelers when Trump issued his original order.
Trump had said the restrictive order is necessary to ensure domestic security. His Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, told reporters @As threats to our security continue to evolve and change, common sense dictates that we continually re-evaluate and reassess the systems we rely upon to protect our country”.
A senior official from the Department of Homeland Security reports:
“Iraq was taken off the list in the original order, which was issued on January 27, because the Iraqi government has imposed new vetting procedures. This includes heightened visa screening and data sharing, also because of its work with the U.S. in countering Islamic State militants.
“There’s going to be a very orderly process, you should not see any chaos so to speak, or alleged chaos at airports. There are not going to be folks stopped tonight from coming into the country because of this executive order.”
Thousands of Iraqis have fought alongside U.S. troops for years or worked as translators since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. Many have resettled in the U.S. after being threatened for working with U.S. troops.
The White House official said the new executive order also ensures that tens of thousands of legal permanent residents in the U.S. or green card holders from the listed countries would not be affected by the travel ban.
Meanwhile, Nigerians have been experiencing some difficulties getting into the United States of late. The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has advised to that effect that Nigerians who do not have an urgent reason to travel to the US to postpone their travel plans until the new administration’s policy on immigration is clear.
“In the last few weeks, the office has received a few cases of Nigerians with valid multiple-entry US visas being denied entry and sent back to the Nigeria. In such cases reported to the office, such affected persons were sent back immediately on the next available flight and their visas were cancelled.”
She, however, reminded Nigerians in the Diaspora to abide by the rules and regulations of their host countries and be good ambassadors of the country pending when the immigration policy saga is over.