There are indeed lots of natural oils that humans can not do without, we have Lemon Oil, Olive oil, Avacado oil, Clove Oil, Jojoba Oil, Lavender oil and numerous others. But among all these have you considered Castor oil? Castor oil which is popularly known as Ogili Ugba or Ogili isi in Igbo, Cika-gidaa in Hausa and Ilara, Ilarum/iru in Yoruba, is one good oils that has lots of uses and benefits. People who use it are left to wonder about the miracles it performs.
Castor oil comes from the beans of a castor plant which originated in India, and is now growing in tropical and Mediterranean areas. It is a very pale yellow liquid that is extracted from castor seeds (Ricinus Communis). It is an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant oil which has been used for centuries for its therapeutic and medicinal benefits. Now if you are yet to know anything about this oil, don’t worry as I will open up to you its secret uses and benefits. I bet you will always want to have castor oil in your home after reading this.
Castor is known for its anti-bacterial properties and various medicinal and therapeutic benefits. It is filled with Vitamin E which makes it perfect for a number of things, although taking it orally may not be one of them. It is also filled with proteins, minerals and has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that make it virtually a cure-all for anything that ails you. Here are some ways to use castor oil
1. Rheumatism/ Arthritis: Castor oil is well-known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can be used as an effective treatment for arthritis. Massage painful joints with the oil and then, apply a warm compress for immediate relief.
2. Hair Treatments: It helps to improve the overall appearance of your hair and makes your locks shine with health and glossiness. Just part your hair in sections and apply the oil then cover and leave to stay over night for the oil to penetrate into your hair follicles and hydrate your scalp. If you do it regularly, you’ll soon forget about dry split ends and your hair will look healthier and shinier.
3. Constipation/ Intestinal Disorder: Castor oil is most widely used as a purgative. It is thus a very effective treatment for extreme cases of constipation. It also works by increasing the movement of the intestines, helping the stool to come out.
4. Menstrual Disorder: Castor oil packs are effective for relieving menstrual cramps and in decreasing or eliminating fibroid and cysts. The ricinoleic acid, present in castor oil helps open menstruation in cases of delayed or painful or stopped menstruation. Massage some hand-warmed castor oil over the lower abdomen to relieve period pain and menstrual cramping.
5. Skin Problems: Its best for treating acne, dry skin and stretch marks. It also helps evade infections like warts, boils, athlete’s foot and chronic itching. Dip a cotton ball into Castor oil and apply it onto the affected skin in the morning and at night. You can as well have a face mask with castor oil that will help you get rid of skin dryness.
6. Treats Insomnia: This oil is very cooling to the body and when applied around the eyes, one can fall into deep sleep. It brings about a feeling of deep relaxation for a peaceful slumber.
7. Expels Worms: Are you disturbed by tape warm or any other kind of warm? Take a tablespoon of castor oil in a glass of warm milk in the morning and at night. The worms will be passed out of your system.
8. Relieves Stomach Aches: To relieve stomach aches, warm some castor oil by rubbing it between your palms and massage this gently over the abdomen and the bellybutton area (the navel).This relieves stomach pain and helps to expel trapped gas.
9. Vaginal/Urinary Track Infection: Castor Oil cures vaginal and urinary track infections. Just apply castor oil directly to the skin, and cover with a warm washcloth or hot water bottle for half an hour to an hour.
10. Cures Hemorrhoids: It shrinks any swollen vein or group of veins in the region of the anus and alleviates the pain and itching that they cause. Soak a cotton ball in castor oil and then apply it to your hemorrhoids, leave the cotton ball on your hemorrhoids for about 15 minutes. Do that continuously to get a faster result.
11. Thickens Eyebrows: Rub some castor oil into your eyebrows each night before you go to bed and it will nourish and thicken your eyebrows. To regrow your eyebrow, a little massage of your eyebrow with castor oil will rebuild your brow.
12. Reduces the Appearance of Scars: Apply castor oil regularly to reduce the appearance of scars on any visible part of your body. The fatty acids in the oil penetrates quickly into the scar tissue and promotes the growth of healthy tissue around it, thus reducing the size of the scar itself.
13. Alleviates Colic in Babies: Is your baby having infant colic? Just warm the oil a bit by rubbing it in your hands and then gently massage baby’s belly area. This will help to alleviate the pain of gas and other tummy troubles in your infant and help them to sleep without causing any adverse side effects like many over the counter medications.
14. Heals Cracked Heels: Some people suffer from heal cracks because of the dry and hard part of their heel. But when you Massage plenty of the oil into your heels before you go to bed and cover with a pair of socks, you will find that it quickly restores the moisture to your skin and adds softness.
15. Alleviates Stretch Marks: If you have any stretch mark on any part of your body, then massaging a little of the oil into your skin, twice a day will do you wonders. Pregnant women are not left out in this. It can also be used after birth to help the marks heal.
16. Anti Aging Medicine: The oil helps to promote the production of elastin and collagen, which help to delay the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and give the skin a more youthful appearance. Dip a small cotton ball into pure castor oil and apply it on wrinkled skin before going to bed.
17. Boosts The Immune System: Castor oil has the remarkable ability to increase the body’s white blood cells. Studies show that a 2-hour topical application of castor oil (castor oil packs) produced a significant increase in the number of white blood cells.
18. Gives you Beautiful looking Nails: Massaging just a small amount of castor oil into your cuticles and on your fingernails each day for a couple of months will give you long, healthy and beautiful nails.
19. Remedies Sunburn: Through it’s soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil is a good remedy for sunburns. Just apply castor oil mixed with coconut oil in proportion 1:1 to the affected area and you will soon feel the relief.
20. Use Castor Oil as a Lip Balm: Use castor oil as a lip balm to moisturize, nourish and care for your lips, and forget about dry and chapped lips forever.