Unknown Gunmen Attack NTA Station in Onitsha


Yesterday, Wednesday 14th September, gunmen attacked the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) office in Onitsha, Anambra State.. However, no life was lost.

According to the Acting Manager of the station, Chris Nwigwe, some masked men with arms invaded the NTA premises at about 1.40AM. They took some of the studio equipment and set the Startimes department ablaze.

Read Also: War! Niger Delta Militants Strike In Nkpor Onitsha, 8 Soldiers Feared Dead

“Some armed men tried to attack the staff on duty but only succeeded in burning down the Star Times building,” he said, adding that no life was lost in the attack.

An eyewitness said that an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was planted at the security post of the station, while tyres were set around the premises to set the station ablaze.

“There was a gun duel between the armed men and policemen who were manning the office. They managed to burn down the Startimes office while the fire was later put out with the help of people around. This type of incident has never happened,” the source said.

The Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Sam Okaula visited the scene with the Anti-Bomb Squad to evacuate the explosive device and confirmed that three suspects had been arrested in connection with the incident. He also assured the public that investigations are on to track down the other accomplices of the arrested men and also find out the reason for the attack.

See Also: Biafra Day Rallies In Onitsha, Asaba Turns Bloody

Okaula also commended the policemen at the gate of the station for their bravery, stating that their quick intervention prevented loss of lives and destruction of more property by the attackers. He seized the opportunity to warn people against taking laws into their hands, assuring that the police is working at getting to the root of the incident.