The 2016 edition marked the Silver Jubilee of the CAF Awards since inception, and as usual, was accompanied by musical performances from renowned artistes.
It was a show of glitz and glamour as notable personalities in both the football and entertainment industry and more graced the occasion.
The glamorous red carpet was hosted by Joselyn Dumas and Gordons, while the show was hosted by Richard Mofe-Damijo and Mimi Fawaz.
The highly coveted award for the African Footballer of the Year was won by Algeria and Leicester City winger, Riyad Mahrez. Mahrez beat last year’s winner, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Liverpool’s Sadio Mane to claim the prize.
Super Falcons striker, Asisat Oshoala also won the Women’s Player of the year Award. She beat Elizabeth Addo of Kvarnsvedensik and Black Queens of Ghana, and Gabrielle Onguene of Rossyanka and Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon, to the award.
Below is the Full List of Winners;
1. National Team of the Year – Uganda
2. Women’s National Team of the Year – Nigeria
3. Club of the Year – Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa
4. Most Promising Talent awards – Kelechi IHEANACHO (Nigeria & Manchester City)
5. Youth Player of the Year – Alex IWOBI (Nigeria and Arsenal)
6. Coach of the Year – Pitso MOSIMANE (Mamelodi Sundowns)
7. Women’s Player of the Year – Asisat OSHOALA (Nigeria & Arsenal Ladies)
8. Referee of the Year – Bakary Papa GASSAMA of Gambia
9. Legend Award – Emilienne Mbango (Cameroon) and Laurent Pokou (Cote d’Ivoire)
10. African Based Player of the Year – Denis Onyango (Uganda & Mamelodi Sundowns)
11. Football Leader of the Year – Manuel Lopes Nascimento
12. Topmost Promoter of Football in Africa – President Muhammadu Buhari
13. African Player of the Year – Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Leicester City)