Tragedy struck one Powell family as their five-week-old baby lost her life after sharing a bed with her mother for the first time. The new-born, named Poppy Rose Powell, inquired a head injury which led to her death at their family home in Senghenydd, near Caerphilly, South Wales.
Check This Out: Wonder ‘Baby Boxes’ Made For Abandoned Newborns
The last thing the mother of the deceased, Hayley, remembered was waking up by 5 am to feed Poppy. Then she slept off there after with the baby in her arms, only to be woken up the next morning by her older son.
“I had drank a few glasses of rosé with lemonade while watching TV. The next thing I recall was being woken by Ieuan saying: ‘Mum, we’re late for school. Mum there’s blood on the bed. I panicked, placing Poppy on the centre of the bed. I knew something was terribly wrong.”
Poppy was reportedly rushed to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff by air ambulance but there was nothing the doctors could do to save her life. Hayley goes on to express her grief, saying: “I’m devastated by the loss of my baby.”
Poppy was born a healthy 6lb 15ozs but had a “soft spot” on the back of her skull which facilitated the head injury. An autopsy report of her remains describes the cause of death as bleeding on the brain and obstructed airway. Deputy Coroner, Wendy James, speaking on the case said that this incident highlights the dangers of parents sharing their bed with their babies. The deputy added that it could lead to accidental death like that of little Poppy, and parents should be cautious henceforth.
May the soul of the departed rest in peace.