FG Agrees To Consolidate Charges Against Dasuki

Advertisement

The Federal Government has agreed to consolidate the criminal charges filed against the former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki.

The decision to consolidate the charges followed a complaint by the counsel to the former NSA, Mr. Joseph Daudu.

Also See: Buhari Proposes 2017 Budget Worth Trillion…See Full Figures 

In the application, Joseph Daudu (SAN), asked that files of cases before the court presided over by Justice Baba-Yusuf and another court presided over by Justice Peter Affen, be brought together in consolidation before the instant court.

Sambo dasuki
Dasuki has been in detention since December 2015

Arguing that putting his client on trial in two different courts on the same issues and subject would prejudice and cause him double jeopardy, Daudu appealed to the court to allow the transfer of the case before Justice Affen of the same FCT High Court, Maitama so that it would be a matter of expeditious process of justice in the trial.

The prosecution counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Rotimi Jacob (SAN), agreed to the consolidation and therefore appealed to the Justice Baba-Yusuf’s court for the consideration of the application of the defendant to avoid further arguments, applications and motions on the issue which he said might further delay trial.



After listening to both parties, Justice Yusuf obliged them and adjourned the case to October 21, 2016.

Dasuki had been on trial before Justice Yusuf and another charge was filed against him before Justice Peter Affen both of the FCT High Court on the same issue and subject.

The FG had earlier defied ECOWAS Court order to immediately release Sambo Dasuki. The court on Tuesday ordered the release of Colonel Dasuki, describing his continual detention as “unlawful and arbitrary violation of his fundamental human rights”.

Also See: Despite ECOWAS Ruling, Dasuki Will Not Be Released – FG

Explaining to newsmen on Wednesday, the Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to the  Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Salihu Isah,  said the government needed to fully understand the content of the court’s proceedings and judgement before reacting.

Topics: