Donald Trump’s Immigration Ban: US President Defends His Actions

Advertisement

President Donald Trump on Friday, signed a sweeping executive order- an Immigration ban order, shutting the borders to refugees and others from seven largely Muslim countries.

Consequently, the US president provoked a backlash for signing the executive order banning people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from travelling to the US.

Since the immigration ban order was issued, statistics reveal that roughly 375 travelers had been affected, with some US-bound passengers turned away and others detained. This led to chaos and protests in several airports across the country.

Mr. Trump’s order has been criticized by some of America’s closest allies. Governments from London and Berlin to Jakarta and Tehran have spoken out against the move. Civil rights and faith groups, activists and Democratic politicians were furious and vowed to fight the immigration ban.

Donald Trump immigration ban 2

More protests were planned across the UK against Donald Trump’s controversial travel ban, as marches are scheduled in cities including London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Manchester. Reports say immigration authorities were still implementing the ban sporadically in a number of airports.

Also See: Donald Trump Fulfills Campaign Promise, Denies 7 Muslim Countries Entrance To US

On Sunday, Attorney generals from 16 US states – including California, New York and Pennsylvania – issued a joint statement condemning Trump’s move.

The statement said; “We are committed to working to ensure that as few people as possible suffer from the chaotic situation that it has created.”

US senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham, both from Trump’s Republican Party, said that the president’s order may do more to help recruit “terrorists” than improve US security.

Amid growing criticisms that the measures are discriminatory and divisive, President Donald Trump has on Sunday, defended his executive order restricting immigration from the seven Muslim-majority countries.

Following the widespread response to his order, Trump released a statement where he compared the new policy to one of Barack Obama’s and criticized the media for calling it a “Muslim ban.”



It reads:

“America is a proud nation of immigrants and we will continue to show compassion to those fleeing oppression, but we will do so while protecting our own citizens and border.

“America has always been the land of the free and home of the brave. We will keep it free and keep it safe, as the media knows, but refuses to say.

“My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months. The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror.

“To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting. This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order.

“We will again be issuing visas to all countries once we are sure we have reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.

“I have tremendous feeling for the people involved in this horrific humanitarian crisis in Syria. My first priority will always be to protect and serve our country, but as President I will find ways to help all those who are suffering.”

President Donald Trump still insists his policy is on the right track, as he also took to his personal Twitter account to buttress the point. He wrote:

“Our country needs strong borders and extreme vetting, NOW. Look what is happening all over Europe and, indeed, the world – a horrible mess!”

Also See: The Implication Of A Trump Presidency On Africa – Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

It will be recalled that during his campaign, Mr Trump had promised what he called “extreme vetting” of immigrants and refugees to try to prevent terror attacks.