Dokpesi is said to be in a fresh fraud Investigation over the alleged N8.7bn he received from Jonathan’s Administration and has been taken back into the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, pending the ruling on his application for bail on Monday.
According to Justice Gabriel Kolawole of the Federal High Court, Abuja, the adjournment would aid him in thoroughly examining the arguments presented by both counsel, as the matter was just briefed to him for the first time. Counsel to Mr. Dokpesi, Mike Ozekhome, SAN, had solicited that the judge rule on his earlier application for bail for his client. Based on what he said, his application included exhibits, A4 to A8 which made his client’s bail very important. The exhibits in his words are to include Mr. Dokpesi’s application to travel abroad, and also ticket from British Airways, contained in exhibits A4 and A5, respectively. He urged the judge to avoid acting on rumors which the prosecution used to contended that other matters might arise. According to Mr. Ozekhome:
He is saying that there could be other charges in future relating to about N8.4 billion, involving a certain FIFA Under-17 World Cup,” .
Mr. Ozekhome went on to bring to the attention of the judge the upcoming wedding of Mr. Dokpesi’s son, and also the difficulties he claimed to have experienced in reaching his client as other reasons that should prompt the granting of the bail application. He further stated that the defendant had the right to organize his counsel properly and witnesses in preparation of his case. Arguing that the reported offences were ‘bail-able’, he made reference to Section 16, sub sections nine, of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act. But counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, objected saying that the defendant was not entitled to bail based only on the materials made available by Mr. Ozekhome. Read Also: Dokpesi Gets Served With Six Counts Charge Of Money Laundering And Related Crimes He requested that the judge to should examine the nature of the matter presented to him, including the evidences and to consider the possibility of Mr. Dokpesi jumping bail. According to him, there was more than enough evidence that N2.1 billion was paid through the account of the NSA to the defendant’s company for Peoples Democratic Party’s campaign for the 2015 general election. He said the money was meant to be channeled for the war against terrorism. Mr. Jacobs also revealed that there was evidence that the N2.1 billion was paid to the defendant between January 22 to March 15, 2015, around the time of the election.
Even if it was just a coincidence; what is the nature of the contract? Mr Jacobs asked, adding that there was no contract for the said sum.
He added in paragraph 12 of his brief of argument that Mr. Dokpesi reportedly collected the sum of N8billion, and N47million during the Under-17 FIFA World Cup, in 2012, in a fraudulently organised contract. The prosecuting counsel further told the court that government is investigating the receipt of the N8.7 billion from government coffers by Dokpesi as there is no evidence to show that it was a party to the broadcast agreement over which the #DAAR Communications chief collected the fund. Mr. Jacobs went to on speak against the defendant’s treatment abroad arguing that the letter of appointment for Mr. Dokpesi’s treatment abroad which Mr. Ozehkome made reference to was sent on the December 5, after he had already been arrested by the EFCC. He then stated that Mr. Kolawole should decline the application for bail saying that Mr. Dokpesi’s bail would compromise the ongoing trial. After hearing the arguments from both parties, Justice Kolawole adjourned till December 14, for ruling;
The defendant shall have to return to the custody of the EFCC,”.
Mr. Dokpesi is being prosecuted for reportedly collecting N2.1billion from the office of the National Security Adviser for PDP’s presidential media campaign. The money was allegedly disbursed from funds meant for the procurement of arms for the fight against insurgency. He was arraigned alongside his firm, DAAR Investment and Holdings Limited, African Independent Television, AIT and Raypower FM, for breaching Section 58 (4) (b) of the Public Procurement Act 2007 punishable under Section 58 (6) and (7) of the same Act, as well as under Section 17 (b) of the EFCC Act, 2004.