Ever since the resumption President Buhari’s tenure, a lot has been said about the misappropriation of funds by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, one of which is the alleged diversion of N6.4billion to the account of the NSA Dasuki Sambo.
Report has it that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala who was the Minister of Finance under former president Goodluck Jonathan, had illegally approved the transfer of at least N61.4 billion ($300 million) from the funds recovered from the loot of one time Head of State, Sani Abacha, to the Office of the National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki,
The Swiss Government was said to have returned the estimated sum of $5 billion stolen from the country’s treasury by the late dictator who allegedly hid the money in offshore accounts.
According to the documents discovered by Premium Times, few weeks to the 2015 presidential election, the former Minister of Finance appended her signature on documents that allowed the transfer of the above named funds and chose not to know how the funds were spent. Rather, she requested the then President, Goodluck Jonathan to directly demand accountability from Dasuki.
the discovered document revealed that there was no detail of what the funds was to be used for before they were transferred which is a clear violation of Nigeria’s fiscal responsibility law which speaks about how budgets are balanced in order to eliminate wasteful government spending of taxpayers’ money.
More details from the document states that about 50 per cent of the money recovered was signed for “urgent security needs” like procurement of arms and ammunition for the Nigerian Armed Forces and other security agents, while the rest of the money was transferred for what was also referred to development purpose. This is seen in the letter addressed to the office of the president which read thus:
Please find a request by the National Security Adviser (NSA) for the transfer of $300 million and £5.5 million of the recovered Abacha funds to an ONSA [Office of the National Security Adviser] operations account,
The NSA has explained that this is to enable the purchase of ammunition, security, and other intelligence equipment for the security agencies in order to enable them fully confront the ongoing Boko Haram threat.
His request is sequel to the meeting you chaired with the committee on the use of recovered funds where the decision was made that recovered Abacha funds would be split 50-50 between urgent security needs to confront Boko Haram and development need (including a portion for the Future Generations window of the Sovereign Wealth Fund).
The above named letter which was dated January 20, 2015, was said to have been written by Mrs Okonjo Iweala after she received a letter from the office of the National Security Advicer, Sambo dasuki dated January 12, 2015 requesting for funds to procure ammunition and other intelligent equipment. The letter was then approved by the then president, Goodluck Jonathan on January 30, 2015.
Meanwhile, Okonjo Iweala, has consistently refused to be linked to the ongoing arms deal scandal, claiming she requested that the NSA report directly to the president himself instead of her. Invariably, she chose not to play her part as the finance minister in monitoring how the NSA utilized the fund allocated to him;
This letter is to seek your approval to borrow these funds, for now, to disburse to the NSA. These funds form part of the projected Federal Government Independent Revenue, to be appropriated, in the light and for accountability, given the peculiar nature of security and intelligence transactions, we would expect the NSA to account to Your Excellency for the utilization of the funds,”
However, this misappropriation of funds saga has indicted the Edo State governor, Adams Oshiomole, who had been insistent that the past president and minister be prosecuted for violating the Nigerian constitution which gave only the National Assembly the right to appropriate fund.