Four companies associated with former governor of Enugu State, Sen. Chimaroke Nnamani, are to be forfeited to the Federal Government, according to Lagos Federal High court order.
Justice Mohammed Yinusa in a Federal court in Lagos on Tuesday, convicted the four companies – Rainbownet Nigeria Limited, Cosmos FM, Capital City Automobile Nigeria Limited and Renaissance University Teaching Hospital after they pleaded guilty on May 19 to a 10-count amended charge against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Mr. Yinusa on reviewing the facts before him convicted the companies and made an order of final forfeiture of their assets to the Federal Government, citing provision of the EFCC Establishment Act on Final Forfeiture.
Aside the landed property, over N35 million from the frozen bank accounts of the companies are also to the forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Sen. Chimaroke Nnamani was accused, alongside his then aide, Sunday Anyaogu, of conspiring to launder state funds meant for the local government areas of Enugu State and were first arraigned before Justice Tijani Abubakar in 2007. Following the transfer of Justice Abubakar, out of the Lagos division of the Federal High Court, the case was re-assigned to Justice Charles Archibong and after Justice Archibong (now retired) was also transferred out of the Lagos also, the case was re-assigned to Justice Yinusa.
Some of the property forfeited, which are located across the five states in the South East geopolitical zone of Nigeria include:
- Cosmos 105.5 FM Digital Station;
- Renaissance University Teaching Hospital;
- 22 Duplex buildings in Ebeano Under Tunnel Estate now known as Fidelity Estate;
- Mea Mater Elizabeth High School;
- Capital City Automobile Limited, located at 12 Station Road ,GRA, Enugu;
- Rainbownet Nigeria Limited in Enugu, with several undeveloped property and plots of land in Abakaliki, Aba, Owerri, Onitsha, Awka and Umuahia;
- Hill Gate Investment which include: Plot Number H12, H13, H14, H15, H21`, H116, H188, Plot 10, Plot H11, Plot H16, Plot H17, Plot H18, Plot 19, Plot H20, Plot H49, Plot H50, Plot H117, CP/4 (HCR2), CP5 (HCR2) CP/6(HCR2) CP/7 (HCR2) CP/8.
Also, property of Rainbownet Communication which include BTS, Microwave Avenue Radio, Rectifiere, and many equipment in various sites in Anambra State are to be forfeited to the Federal Government.