The outbreak happened in Isolo Local Council Development Area of Lagos state and the Lagos state government confirmed that 45 cases were recorded. Two out of the 6 deaths recorded were brought in, already dead.
Dr. Idris said that 36 cases have been successfully managed in various hospitals across the state while 3 people are currently responding to treatment. Speaking at a press conference on Thursday 22nd September, the commissioner said that the main source of the outbreak has been traced to consumption of a local of Salad called Abacha, which is a popular staple food in that area.
“Some domestic wells within the communities are also suspected. Sample of Abacha salad and well water have been collected and sent to the Lagos State Drug Quality Control Laboratory for analysis.
“Samples were collected from 15 cases and taken to the central public health laboratory, Yaba. There were no growths, however continuous culture yielded Vibro cholerae from 7 out of 15 samples.
“The Vibro cholera was later confirmed to be Ogawa strain. The report of the analysis revealed the presence of vibro cholerae, Salmonella species and E. Coli in abacha and one of the two well water samples,” Idris said.
“All the 3 cases are still on admission and in stable conditions. 17 of the cases were managed at private health facilities in Isolo. Out of the 17 cases, 3 died. All 14 cases on admission have been discharged.
“The risk of contracting the disease is mainly by poor water and environmental sanitation, including open defecation. Lagosians should endeavour to wash their hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly, especially after using the rest room. Boil water before drinking, especially if you are not sure of the source of water,” he advised.
Cholera is an acute form of diarrhoea caused by Vibro cholerae, it occurs even without the victim vomiting and is caused by consuming food or water contaminated with infected faeces.
The commissioner called on residents of Lagos state to be alert to the symptoms of the disease, which includes nausea, profuse diarrhea, vomiting, fever, leg cramps, dehydration as cholera is deadly and can kill within hours if left not treated immediately.