Chibok Parents Reject 2nd Rescued Girl


Chibok parents through the head of the Chibok Abducted Girls Parents group, Yakubu Nkeki, opposed the claims of the Nigerian Army that the second rescued Chibok girl, Serah Luka, was among the 219 kidnapped by Boko Haram on April 14, 2014.

The girl, Serah Luka, had been identified by the Army as one of the Chibok girls after she was rescued on Thursday, May 19, 2016.

The announcement of the second rescued Chibok girl was made by the Army in a statement released by its spokesperson, Colonel Sani Usman on Thursday, saying that its troops killed 35 Boko Haram terrorists and recovered several arms and ammunition in the recovery of Luka.

See Also: Buhari Meets Rescued Chibok Girl, Amina Nkeki

Chibok Parents Deny Second Rescued Chibok Girl.

The military statement said:

“In addition, they rescued 97 women and children held captives by the Boko Haram terrorists. We are glad to state that among those rescued is a girl believed to be one of the Chibok Government Secondary schoolgirls that were abducted on April 14, 2014 by the Boko Haram terrorists.

“Her name is Miss Serah Luka, who is number 157 on the list of the abducted school girls. She is believed to be the daughter of Pastor Luka. During debriefing, the girl revealed that she was an SS1 student of the school at the time they were abducted. She further added that she hails from Madagali, Adamawa State”.

Yakubu Nkeki however, told AFP that his records showed only two girls with the surname Luka. The military said Serah was believed to be a pastor’s daughter, but Nkeki said there were only four priests on the list of parents and none was called Luka.

Read More: A Second Chibok Girl Has Been Found

“These are Kauna Luka Yana and Naomi Luka Dzakwa. Among the list of parents we have only four priests and none of them is Luka. 

“Among the girls none of them is from Madagali. They were either from Chibok, Damboa, Askira and Uba (all in Borno state). So I can say… that this girl is not among the abducted Chibok girls.

“We were never contacted by the military for verification of the girl’s identity before the announcement was made.”