President Muhammadu Buhari has agreed to meet with members of the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ (BBOG) group, after a government team failed to convince the group to suspend its request of speaking directly with the president on Thursday.
Due to the stand-off at the presidential villa, Abuja, as members of the BBOG group campaigning for the release of school girls abducted by Boko Haram from Chibok in 2014, insisted they should be allowed to meet Mr. Buhari, report from PremiumTimes says the National Security Adviser, Mohammed Monguno, said Mr. Buhari will meet with the group at the banquet hall of the Presidential Villa
However, members of the group were instead met by a government team comprising the Minister of Women Affairs, Aisha Al-Hassan; Minister of Defense, Monsur Dan-Ali; National Security Adviser, Mohammed Monguno; and the Chief of Defense Staff, Abayomi Olonishakin.
A spokesperson for the BBOG and former Education Minister, Oby Ezekwesili, said they had earlier met with the President on July 8, 2015, and that they were at the villa to discuss the promises he made to them.
Women Affairs minister, Mrs. Alhassan, said the president, who at the time was meeting with President Boni Yayi of Benin, could not make time to meet the BBOG team, because of the short notice given by the group.
After the group refused the back down, the NSA left to inform Mr. Buhari of the group’s insistence to see him personally. He later returned with words that the president was rounding off his meeting with Beninese leader, Boni Yayi, and would shortly be at the banquet hall. As the President arrived at the Banquet Hall for the meeting; accompanied by the BBOG group and other top officials, the news reporters were asked to leave as ‘sensitive issues’ would be discussed at the meeting.