Nigeria has never been in short supply of talented beauty queens. We have had series of beautiful ladies who has represented the country in different categories. But it was like the emergence of one beauty queen as winner of Miss World in 2001 marked a new dawn for Nigeria. 31-year-old model, beauty queen and brand ambassador, Agbani Darego, is one of Africa’s most influential women of all time. At the age of 18, she made the continent proud by putting her name on the sands of time as the first black woman to win the famous “Miss World 2001”. 14 years after her big win, Agbani has continued to stay relevant in the modelling, fashion and entertainment world. She is a great icon and an inspiration to most upcoming and established models, in and out of the continent.
There is so much to this outstanding model, that is why she is among the most searched African females on the internet. People want to know more about her, get updates on her works and her career most especially. To that regard, we have summed up everything you need to know about African’s number one model, Agbani Darego, in short simple bullet sentences.
Check Out This: 25 Most influential Women In Nigeria
1. Agbani Darego is from Abonnema in Rivers State, Nigeria.
2. She is Sagittarius (22nd December)
3. She studied Computer Science and Mathematics at the University of Port Harcourt, and also Psychology in New York University.
4. Agbani is 1.82 meters (6 ft) tall. She has brown eyes and long black hair.
5. Agbani is the first native Sub-Saharan African to win Miss World.
6. She won a total cash prize of $100,000, plus gifts valued at $150,000 at the Miss world 2001. The value of her prize money at that time was approximately N15, million.
7. She was also the Most beautiful Girl In Nigeria 2011.
8. Prior to winning MBGN, Darego featured in print commercials for boutique chain Collectibles.
9. As at 2001, Agbani was a size 6. Currently, she is a size 8.
10. She is the first Nigerian to be placed among the top 10 semi-finalists in the Miss Universe Pageant. She came seventh overall.
11. In the 2011 Miss Universe contest, Agbani was the only one to wear a maillot as opposed to a bikini during the swimsuit competition
12. Agbani is an orphan – her mum died from cancer and her dad of natural causes in 2012. However, she has 7 siblings to call family.
13. Her father, Late chief Asenite Sikibo Darego, was a highly decorated Customs officer before his retirement, and contributed immensely to her growth as a model.
14. Agbani has played the role of a judge in the following pageants – Miss England 2002, Mr. Scotland 2002, Elite Model Look Nigeria 2012/2014 and also Miss World 2014.
15. She has her own style and fashion reality show “Stylogenic.”
16. Agbani was invited by Naomi Campbell to participate in Frock ‘n’ Roll – a charity fashion show in Barcelona and also struck a deal with Donald Trump’s management to establish links with modelling agencies in America.
17. She is Single, ready to mingle and tangle.
18. Agbani has worked with these top designers, Oscar de la Renta, Marc Bouwer, Tommy Hillfiger, Ralph Lauren, and Gianfranco Ferre, among others.
19. Agbani has modeled for popular brands like L’Oréal, Vogue, Avon, Christian Dior, Sephora, Target, and Macy’s, and is regarded as an A-list model just like Naomi Campbell.
20. She has served as the advert model of Gentle Touch hair brand and the face of Arik Air.
21. She has also graced the covers of various Nigerian Prints which include Complete Fashion, Mania, This Day Style, Genevieve, True Love, and TW Magazine.
22. Unlike other models, Agbani has a national honour of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR).
23. She represents the phrase “black is beautiful”, and she was quoted as that just before she was crowned Miss World.
24. Currently, she shuttles between Nigeria and the U.K, running around to see that her dreams continue to live through her works.
25. She is the CEO of her denim range, AD by Agbani Darego, which includes jeans, dresses, sunglasses and bags.