Some people know him for his hit single Orente, others for Pick Up, well there is more to Adekunle Gold than the mentioned singles. Here are 25 facts you should know about your him.
1. Adekunle Gold was born as Adekunle Kosoko.
2. He is a nephew to veteran actor, Jide Kosoko.
3. He is an origin of Lagos state and a prince from the famous Kosoko royal house of Lagos.
4. He is the only son of his parent.
5. Adekunle Gold wrote his first song at the age of 15 and started singing in a church junior choir.
6. He is a graduate of Lagos State Polytechnic where he studied Graphics.
7. Adekunle added Gold to his name after a session in church with the inspiration coming from an excerpt of the pastor’s preaching.
8. He was a member of a boy band called The Bridge and they released the following songs: “No sleeping on a bicycle”, “Norm Breaker” featuring Skales and “All of me” (John legend cover).
9. In 2013, he Left ‘The Bridge’ to debut as a solo act.
10. His first song as a solo artiste was “Let it stop,” a song about peace for the nation.
11. In 2014, he released his version of One Direction’s ‘Story Of My Life”, which he titled ‘SADE’. This song enjoyed massive airplay and got him signed to YBNL.
12. Adekunle Gold is also a sculptor, painter, and graphics designer.
13. Prior to Adekunle’s signing to YBNL records, he was their graphic designer, the brain behind the label’s official logo.
14. Before his entry into the mainstream music industry, Adekunle Gold went viral after photoshopping himself into photos of popular celebs which earned him the moniker, ‘King of Photoshop’.
15. The single, Sade, won the Best alternative song award at the recently held 2015 Headies awards ceremony.
16. Although his real age is unknown, Adekunle Gold is less than 30 years.
17. His follow-up single, ‘Orente’ like his debut was inspired by a true life experience.
18. Gold is reportedly in a relationship with ‘Jamb Question’ singer, Simi. However, none of the singers are yet to confirm the rumour and they rarely step out in public together.
19. Simi actually helped Adekunle Gold define his style and helped named his genre, ‘Urban Highlife’.
20. Simi mixed and arranged Adekunle Gold’s three singles, ‘Sade’, ‘Orente’ and ‘Pick Up’.
21. He won the award for ‘Revelation of the Year’ at the 2015 edition of AFRIMA.
22. Adekunle Gold has made his movie debut on Kunle Afolayan’s upcoming thriller, ‘The CEO’.
23. The singer is also called YBNL Toaster by fans and some colleagues.
24. He is friendly and active on Twitter.
25. He shares his works regularly on his official website.