500,000 families displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency will receive N17,000 each from the World Food Programme in 2016, says an official of the agency. The World Food Programme is a project of the United Nations that addresses hunger and promotes food security.
Chairman of Borno State Emergency Agency, Ahmed Satomi, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Maiduguri, said 35,000 households had so far benefited from the programme. Adding that the agency’s plan is to reach out to 1.4 million Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) taking refuge in other communities.
“We are targeting the most vulnerable couples, widows and those who have passed through great hardship as a result of the insurgency. Apart from our IDPs in the 28 camps, we also have about a million of them taking refuge in host communities of Jere and Maiduguri Metropolitan Council.”
He said the aim of giving out the money is to encourage them to start up something that would enable them cater for their families and to alleviate their suffering. Mr. Ahmed also said plans were in place to empower them on basic skills acquisition as well as entrepreneurship which will go a long way in assisting the beneficiaries.
“The token would be given to them to encourage them to start up something that would enable them cater for their families to alleviate their suffering.
“We will also try to see how we can empower them on basic skills acquisition as well as entrepreneurship which will go a long way in assisting the beneficiaries. So far, we have started with Gwange one, two and three, Meri and Shettimari areas in the state capital.”
He also said that the state government have concluded plans to start distributing food items to the IDPs in their host communities.