3 Lagos Communities Protest A Decade Without Electricity


Residents of three communities on the Ibafo-Mowe axis of the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway popularly referred to as “Second Lagos”, on Monday protested a decade of no electricity.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the communities were protesting the cutting off of electricity supply to their areas in the last ten years.

The protesters, who directed their protest at the Minister of Power, Babatunde Fashola and the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBDEC) which serves the area, converged at Punch Newspapers premises along the busy Lagos/Ibadan Expressway with some policemen on guard.

The protesters, who were mostly youths, claim that several notices had been given to IBDEC complaining of unfair distribution of electricity.

Some of the protesters told NAN that the residents had been subjected to untold hardships since the communities were thrown into the decade-long darkness.

See Also: Drop In Power Supply Due To Explosions, Gas Constraints

Write ups on some of the placards read: “10 years of darkness must stop; Fashola, IBDEC stop this darkness; 10 years of darkness at Magboro, Ibafo Mowe communities: Enough is enough.”

The Deputy Managing Director, IBDEC in Ibadan, Mr. John Ayodele, in a phone interview with NAN said the areas were not totally cut off but had been getting power supply intermittently from Abeokuta. Ayodele blamed the poor power supply on the uncompleted National Independent Power Project (NIPP) in the area.

The areas are to get supply from Akute through the NIPP but last year when it was scheduled for commissioning, we noticed that the contractors used sub-standard materials.

We decided that the contractors handling the project should reconstruct or ‘address’ the defects in the project, but as we speak they have not done anything.

When the plant was to be connected to distribute power, it could not carry the loads in the areas. We agreed that the contractors handling the project should reconstruct or address the challenges.

Ayodele said constructing another power project in the area could take between seven to eight months to complete.

Magboro residents claim they have written several letters of appeal to the IBDEC and also contributed some money to make sure that they have power but to no avail.

Read Also: High Court Bars NERC From Increasing Tariff