Former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, who is in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has opened a can of very big worms in his confession. He was handed over to the EFCC by the Department of State Services (DSS) on Tuesday, December 2, 2015,
An EFCC source who pleaded anonymity said that the revelations made by the retired colonel as related to the arms contracts are “mind-boggling” and could rip this country apart if full investigations and subsequent prosecutions are carried out.
According to the source: “When Dasuki was brought in, he initially refused to write any statement, alleging that he had been subjected to media trial. I think the ex-NSA decided not to open up based on the advice of his lawyers that he should leave everything for the open court.
“The EFCC operatives, however, obliged Dasuki a copy of the statement by a former Director of Finance in the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), Shaibu Salisu in which the latter made some implicating statements.
“Dasuki, who was shocked by Salisu’s confessions, repeatedly asked: ‘You mean Salisu wrote all these! You mean he said these! Give me a pen and paper’.
“Thereafter, Dasuki decided to open a can of worms. He gave a long list of PDP chieftains who collected money from the Office of the NSA. He mentioned the names of a former Deputy National Chairman of PDP, ex-governors and ex-ministers and many others.
“As I am talking to you, Dasuki is still writing his statement. The disclosures of the ex-Director of Finance in ONSA have assisted greatly in getting to the bottom of the armsgate.
“So, the investigation is still on. We will certainly arrest more suspects soon,” he said.
Another source from the commission who still spoke on the condition of anonymity said some of the arrested suspects had admitted that they collected money from the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA while Dasuki was in charge.
“Our investigators have isolated these areas of probe: Were the funds budgeted for? If not, what informed extra-budgetary expenses? How much was actually voted for arms procurement? How were the funds sourced? Who or which agency awarded all the contracts? Who were the contractors? Was there any evidence of delivery of equipment? What will make any Minister to run to ONSA for funds?
“These are the areas our detectives have been mandated to look at.
“Some Bureau de Change operators were accomplices of many of these suspects in custody. We are tracking every transaction. On daily basis, we will keep on inviting more suspects because the syndicate has a complex networking,” the source added.
On his part, AIT boss Raymond Dokpesi had explained that the N2.1 billion he collected from the ONSA was for pre-election campaign. In a statement released by his company on Wednesday, he explained that he was invited by the chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, to “shed more light on some payments that were made to him through the office of the erstwhile National Security Adviser to the former President, Malam Sambo Dasuki.”
“Dokpesi explained to the EFCC officials that the N2.1 billion he collected from the former NSA was payment for publicity and media political campaigns during the 2015 General Elections,” the statement said.
This leaves the question as to why Mr. Dokpesi would receive payment for a media campaign, from the office of the NSA.
As at the time of filing this report, some of the accused persons in the arms deal scandal have not been released, as they were still battling to complete the conditions for their bail by “clearing some grey areas.”